MGB GT fettling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Re: Scruffy's Scrappers

Post by CLINT »

Fuck it off down the auctions and buy a simple car like a 405...

"But I'll lose money on it!!"

So wha, have you ever made money or even broke even on beer or food or clothes?
OMG U OK HUN?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

CLINT wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm Fuck it off down the auctions and buy a simple car like a 405...

"But I'll lose money on it!!"

So wha, have you ever made money or even broke even on beer or food or clothes?
I'm not giving up on it just yet. It's got me 100 miles so far, even if some of those have been rather slowly... I managed to get 2 pieces of plasterboard and some hardi-backer in it yesterday afternoon, something that I can't do in the other 405.
I'll try pulling the fuse-board again and clean it up, have a look for dry joints as suggested. Then I'll get them to plug it in again and see if any of the codes can be cleared.
Not sure how much it'd make at the auctions tbh got a ball park figure?
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

No idea. Life's too short to be fucking about with ungrateful and complicated cars!
OMG U OK HUN?
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:05 am I took the V50 to my local garage yesterday and he kindly plugged in his Snap On diagnostic to it. It ran a list of about 7 faults, boost issues, DPF issues and the main one being a permanent fault on the ECU itself that won't reset. He reckoned I need a new ECU, dash binnacle and immobiliser set with key to sort it, either that or torch it. Balls!
ECU faults are almost never caused by a faulty ECU..... Try unplugging it and cleaning all the connections.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I'd be surprised if a modern Bosch ECU on a diesel will have itself fail. Of course it can happen, but they're pretty darn robust electrical wise. With a large number of codes stored, I suspect it's more electrical power feed issue to the ECU. +12v, earth or one of the +5v sensor wires getting shorted to ground or +12v.

What was the code that wouldn't clear?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Just saw its had a DPF delete. Someone has been fucking around with the firmware in it. ECU code is probably CRC/memory corruption error. Often happens on a crap tuner not creating the software images correctly. So ends up having the code permanently there and unremovable. But it's likely a red herring that the problems you have are caused by it. Usually the EML is disabled too, to hide that the code is permanently there.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

SiC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:07 pm Just saw its had a DPF delete. Someone has been fucking around with the firmware in it. ECU code is probably CRC/memory corruption error. Often happens on a crap tuner not creating the software images correctly. So ends up having the code permanently there and unremovable. But it's likely a red herring that the problems you have are caused by it. Usually the EML is disabled too, to hide that the code is permanently there.
Yep, it's been well and truly fucked with by all accounts. I've already pulled the fuse-board and cleaned up any contacts I could find but that was some time ago and the cars been sitting about ever since so I'll pull it again and give it another going over.
I didn't get to record any of the errors as the chap just plugged it in there and then. It's only a few minutes up the road to the garage so I may well take it back there straight after I've cleaned the board and see if any faults have gone. I've had a bit of a search of the Volvo forums and it seems they can also suffer from loom damage in the engine bay so I'll check that over too as it can cause all sorts of random faults on the ECM apparently.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

[
tmp-cam-1705338149.jpg
tmp-cam-1705338149.jpg (269.74 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
At least whoever physically removed it made a nice job of the welding. It was a doddle to make it look like it's never been done.

tmp-cam-27619252.jpg
tmp-cam-27619252.jpg (324.76 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
It's not a bad looking car tbh and it's in pretty good nick overall. Plus the fact it's 20 quid a year to tax :shock: Dunno why these photos are in the wrong order, hey ho.
Attachments
tmp-cam-1800840182.jpg
tmp-cam-1800840182.jpg (343.61 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I've done another 20 miles in this today round various back lanes, bit of A road and taking it steady. I've coaxed it up to 37mpg average now according to the trip computer. No real loss of power today on the trip there or back but the 405 feels more powerful and responsive. I'll have a good look over it at the weekend.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

tmp-cam-537000246.jpg
tmp-cam-537000246.jpg (348.09 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
I still haven't got round to stripping the fuse board again yet and instead have put it properly to work. I've done 3 trips so far with probably 250kg to 300kg a time spread across the rear of the car. Strangely enough it seems to drive exactly the same with weight in it or not, very odd. It's still showing about 38mpg average.