MGB GT fettling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
christine

Re: GP100 resurrection

Post by christine »

I'm fascinated by two strokes ! So simple ...but so critical to get it right
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

christine wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:31 pm I'm fascinated by two strokes ! So simple ...but so critical to get it right
This one runs lovely now. Mikuni carb, Japanese bike, I had a fair bit of faith in it.

I love the smell and sound of a 2 stroke. I was lucky enough to have a 1986 YZ80s as a kid. I seem to remember the ignition curve in the manual going right up to 15K revs :shock: Couple that to an induction system that meant no power, no power, no power then POWER!!! and it was great fun :mrgreen:
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

I love 2 strokes.
My Cagiva Supercity is due to go in for a service, MOT and to sort out the sticking powervalve.
It has the 34mm carb on and goes like a fucker, powervalve is stuck open currently, meaning it's pretty gutless to about 8K rpm, then, goes mental till about 13K.
7 gears to chew through means, a pretty reasonable top speed for a 125, some speculate it'll do just over a ton.
I wouldn't know about that.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

My first road legal bike when I was 17 was a blue GP100. A GP125 was out of the question due to being over twice as much to insure on a Norwich Union Rider Policy which over doubled the price on a 125. I did get revenge on them after passing my test by totally taking the piss with their unlimited capacity insurance.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

I love two strokes, but unfortunately so does everyone now, even MZ250s are fetching silly money these days.
I kind of have a double GP100 in my garage, in bits.
An SB200 twin, I rebuilt the engine, repainted the frame, fitted some lovely little clip ons to it, an elongated tank and a TZ single seat....
And there it sits, in boxes, waiting to be reassembled.
Family stuff got in the way, I made a move to restart the project a few weeks ago, but health problems have got in the way.
Hopefully soon.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I had an aprilia rs125 when I did my cbt. That did over a ton easily. Bastard got nicked when I was on holiday.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Yellowperil wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 pm I love two strokes, but unfortunately so does everyone now, even MZ250s are fetching silly money these days.
I kind of have a double GP100 in my garage, in bits.
An SB200 twin, I rebuilt the engine, repainted the frame, fitted some lovely little clip ons to it, an elongated tank and a TZ single seat....
And there it sits, in boxes, waiting to be reassembled.
Family stuff got in the way, I made a move to restart the project a few weeks ago, but health problems have got in the way.
Hopefully soon.
Hopefully you'll be up to having a go soon :-) The lad who owns this took a punt on it about 10 years ago by the sounds of it. Apparently he paid 80 quid for it. He's seen what some of these two stroke bikes are fetching so asked me to get it running so he could sell it. That's what a Mrs and two toddlers does for things :lol:
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

paulplom wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:40 am I had an aprilia rs125 when I did my cbt. That did over a ton easily. Bastard got nicked when I was on holiday.
I always liked the look of those Aprilia's but never got to have a go on one. I had the odd raz on a mates F reg TZR 125 that had had the valve turned and used to pillion on it to college fairly regularly, it went really well.

I could never have trusted myself on a road bike tho, if I'd had one I wouldn't be here now typing this, I'd have smeared myself across the scenery somewhere. My parents weren't up for it either. My old man had a scooter and ended up under a car at some point. Very nearly lost the use of his left arm, pin from shoulder to elbow, ruptured spleen etc etc. The scars are still very evident 50 years on.

Sliding thru a thistle bed on my back in a T-shirt at 40+ mph etc etc was enough after falling off the YZ :lol:
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

That was the reason I never sat my test. I past the theory but bottled two practical tests. The amount of cunts pulling out in front of you, shit driving etc. It wasn't my riding that was the problem.
I doubt I'd be here now if I got a big bike.
I did get it up to 110 on a long stretch of the a1 just before Morpeth. Crazy for a 125.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Even if it was 10mph over reading that's good going for a 125! The old TZR used to show well over 90 with two skinny seventeen year olds on it on one long downhill stretch round here lol

I was enough of a liability in a derv Series III land rover. You can even make them scary fast if you crest a steep hill flat out in fourth and then knock it into neutral :shock: :lol: