What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
I am not Diesel
Location: Knocking one out to the free 10 minutes on Babestation.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by I am not Diesel »

This morning I replaced the rear axle link arms on my Defender. I then replaced the track rod and set the tracking. Soon be MoT time.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

You've just reminded me of the joy* when I had to replace the hockey stick bushes on my Disco years ago.
Private signature, do not read
I am not Diesel
Location: Knocking one out to the free 10 minutes on Babestation.

Post by I am not Diesel »

I did mine last year and I too experienced much ‘joy’.

Post by Guest »

Today I ripped the exhaust apart on the Chrysler coming out of a car park, I'm not happy.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Any of you experienced that other Landrover feature, the Disco Death Wobble? Spectacular it is, well worth keeping an eye on front axle location bushes unless you crave adventure.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Aye mine did that a few times. It was the bushes in the end of the hockey sticks & swivel bearings in my case.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Guest wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 pm Today I ripped the exhaust apart on the Chrysler coming out of a car park, I'm not happy.
How the hell did you manage that?!

Post by Guest »

Steep ramp, long and low car, caught exhaust on break over angle. Fortunately car louder than swearing.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Changed the headlight bulbs on the Boxster this evening. Headlights on dipped are pretty crap, so I bought a set of 150%+ brightness Philips bulbs. Found that these cars have a really nifty way of releasing the headlights. Take the 5mm box spanner tool out of the tool reel (all the best cars have tool reels!),

remove the bung,
insert tool,

twist
[YouTube][/YouTube]

and the whole light cluster pops out the front to be removed

The back of the light has a simple panel that unclips to gain full access to the bulbs.

Interestingly, Porsche have used two H7 bulbs instead of a single H4. There is two reflector parts. Top is dipped, bottom is main beam.

Fog light is integrated above the indicator light
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Next up was to sort this warning light demanding attention - brake pad wear warning.

One good thing about these Boxsters are that some of the consumables are very reasonably priced. Set of genuine Brembo pads from ECP was only £35. Pair of Brembo discs only £70. Cheaper than the Dolomite!

I would have liked to have done the discs too but budget priorities with the fleet dictate not. However the lip isn't that large and not enough for me to worry really. Also I'm going on holiday soon and Mrs SiC is insistent that we go in the Boxster (I'd rather the MGB...). Hence they need sorting before putting another 500miles on the clock.

Jacked up the car. Got to love the stiffness of this car.

This is where an impact wrench is incredibly handy. Just buzz those studs off without having to fart around with a breaker bar on the floor first.

The Boxster had fixed calipers. I do love fixed calipers over sliding units. So much quicker and less faff.

Cleaned down with brake cleaner to remove some of the dust. Remove the R clip and knock the pin out. Thankfully my punch was a perfect fit to go through the hole.

Retaining clip comes off and sensor wire removed. You can just about see the hole that the sensor fits in.

Basically these sensors fit in a hole in the pads and when the brakes wear down they cut through the wire. This breaks the circuit and causes the light to go on.

Also if the wire wears through and hits the disc. This shorts out the wire and causes the light to illuminate. Hence this is why you can have the light sometimes on but not always, as they wear to the replace level.

This one hasn't quite worn in yet.

Being a cheapskate and because they haven't worn all the way through (only one pad actually wore the wire insulation), I reused them. At a tenner a side, I'd rather have the money right now.

Because of the lip, some creative use of the piston spreader was needed.

Once the pads were out, more cleaning was in order. You can clearly see the four pots on the calipers.

A case then to put ceratec on the back of the pads + pin and put it all back together.

The pads still had a fair amount of meat left on them. Probably could have got away with leaving them longer in hindsight. However replacing them now meant reusing the pad sensor wires, saving enough to justify it.

All in, it took less an hour to change them. Even at my slow working speeds! Fixed Calipers are awesome.