What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fried onions

Re: What did you do today?

Post by fried onions »

If the horn wiring is in good order it could be the horn contacts require cleaning or adjustment. All straightforward stuff.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

And regarding the fuel gauge, if you disconnect the sender wire and earth it with the ignition switched on, the needle should move to Full. Don't keep it earthed for more than a few seconds though.
Squire Dawson

The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

The Compact got a bit of love today. I fitted a quick ratio Z3 steering rack in January and like a twat, didn't get the tracking done. My reasoning is that to came straight from a car with the same floorpan, suspension etc. It of course fucked the inside edges of both front tyres. The tracking should be 1 degree toe out on the front - it was 7 degrees. So that was corrected and a pair of good Kumho part worns fitted. A look at the front brakes revealed that the EBC Yellow pads were down to 3 or 4 mm but I always remove new looking pads from BMW's in breakers because they're free and I have a box full now. Of course, the drivers side caliper was starting to seize but I had a nearly new one taken from an E46 a month ago. Within an hour it was back together, brakes bled and braking much better.

I washed and hoovered the bastard as well.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Second hand pads from the breakers, that's tight!

I always save my own if I change them and they aren't as worn as I expected in case one caliper siezes and I need some to put in......
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Jag storage has fallen through, back to square one on that. Might end up living on the drive all winter.

Volvo is (finally) going in for welding on Tues. Had it laser aligned too, tracking is now right but it's pulling under braking so more investigation is needed.
Haven't got round to fitting the RHD blower motor yet as I'll need to un-bodge the plug on it - it's currently reverse polarity so the bodged LHD blower spins the right way, albeit underpowered.
Watch for pedestrians...
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

I bypassed the fuel cooler on the modern (2007) diesel golf. Apparently it's because the fuel gets hot on PD engines, so they put a cooler in the return line. Unfortunately it hangs under the car and this one got damaged.

Front drop link changed as well, with the help of the angle grinder - who thought an Allen key would do?

Wheel bearing to do tomorrow night, when hopefully I'll have an M18 spline bit.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Cleaned and polished my motorbike then put it away for winter, I had a ride yesterday and I just couldn't be arsed with the shite all over the roads so I'm done for another year.
CBA
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:18 pm Second hand pads from the breakers, that's tight!

I always save my own if I change them and they aren't as worn as I expected in case one caliper siezes and I need some to put in......

I only rescue them if they're still black, shiny and pretty fresh from the box. Ditto dampers, calipers, wishbones etc. I bought a steering rack and gear lever last week from a monumentally side damaged Z3 - I mean absolutely fucked. I only found out via Google yesterday that two people were killed in it. :shock: :cry:
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Aye, but the parts live on. Most of my cars are from dead people.
Squire Dawson

The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

This was a violent end though. Apparently it went around a fast left hander, got out of shape and was T boned by a Shogun doing 40-50 mph.
I didn't know at the time but I don't agree with cars like this being stripped for parts - there was claret on the passenger seat. You try not to think about it.