What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
cros
The Elastrator

Re: What did you do today?

Post by cros »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 am I replaced the rear wiper on my Compact. The 1994 original had rusted to death from washer fluid but 26 years isn't a bad run. The replacement is from 1995 and is perfect inside.
I didn't know you had one of them. Someone left one at my place for 6 months while he was moving and I was quite taken with it when I had to move it a couple of times to stop the grass dying off underneath. His son eventually collected it when I was out, not a fucking thankyou from the cunt.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Felt a bit cunty the last few days, been getting out of bed progressively later and generally being a spaz. Nonetheless I got back onto the Saab today and got a bit done.
Started by cleaning and gapping spark plugs, a little job that I enjoy, then got out the new leads I had foolishly bought off ebay. They did not fit, they were of the two long/two short type that fits many inline 4s and the coil lead was too short. Still, I fitted four leads and left that to the coil.
Then took some photos of the fusebox and replaced it with the better one I had with a working lid. Hooked up battery in boot, operated newly installed choke set up. Nothing. WTF, had lights but no fan so must be a problem with starter circuit or ignition barrel. Wiggled cables from loom through bulkhead to steering column area, swore a bit. Tried again, starter whirred and went first turn of the key. I think it's the ignition barrel though. I hate ignition barrels, they have fooled me before.
I could replace the rotor arm, condenser, cap and points but I won't yet as the engine runs very much better now. I set the timing again though as I had moved the distributor by a few teeth so as to get more space for the vacuum pipe to brake booster.
Got out the new Lockheed clutch master cylinder I had cleverly purchased for a fiver. Different thread to the pipe going to slave. Put old clutch master back on. I shall need to find a flexible high pressure line and fittings that I can run betwixt master and slave cylinders in the future. That area is fairly full of ancillaries on the 96 and a flexi pipe would be helpful.
Got some paint on the welded patches to the passenger side footwell and finished cleaning up the reversing lamps. For once the silver spray paint I used seems rather good.
Attachments
20200429_145722.jpg
20200429_145722.jpg (237.92 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
20200428_141444.jpg
20200428_141444.jpg (455.84 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Parantodd392

Post by Parantodd392 »

I’ve done a very childish thing and fitted an induction kit to the starlet.
Attachments
ABAD9DF9-ADB1-4CBC-B958-91F2BD59D490.jpeg
ABAD9DF9-ADB1-4CBC-B958-91F2BD59D490.jpeg (948.77 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Fitted the new float in the Cowley carb. I ordered it on Monday, it arrived Tuesday but this has been my first day off since. All adjusted up and running well - fitted a new jet and pivot to the lid as well. Really underlines the practicality of running old BMC shit when I can ring any one of two or three places up on a lockdown Monday and still get the thing back on the road midweek......Got stuff to do on the T25 but it is now shitting with poxy rain.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Yeah, rain is affecting play here, got a Jetex exhaust to go on and very cramped working in the garage :(
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 pm Fitted the new float in the Cowley carb. I ordered it on Monday, it arrived Tuesday but this has been my first day off since. All adjusted up and running well - fitted a new jet and pivot to the lid as well. Really underlines the practicality of running old BMC shit when I can ring any one of two or three places up on a lockdown Monday and still get the thing back on the road midweek......Got stuff to do on the T25 but it is now shitting with poxy rain.
People berate the Minor/MGB/Mini/Spitfire/etc as being too common and thus boring classics. However for all three I can nip down to my local Moss branch and pretty much pick up any part I need there instantly to get one of those running or MOTd again. Quicker and easier than any of my moderns.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yep...I've given up trying to get my 190E to run properly for the time being. Not only waiting weeks to track down injection parts they cost a fortune too. I think the carb float was £17.00 and the jet with gaskets etc. added another £6. You don't need to run a classic British sports car either - just one that shares the running gear!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:00 pm
mercrocker wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 pm Fitted the new float in the Cowley carb. I ordered it on Monday, it arrived Tuesday but this has been my first day off since. All adjusted up and running well - fitted a new jet and pivot to the lid as well. Really underlines the practicality of running old BMC shit when I can ring any one of two or three places up on a lockdown Monday and still get the thing back on the road midweek......Got stuff to do on the T25 but it is now shitting with poxy rain.
People berate the Minor/MGB/Mini/Spitfire/etc as being too common and thus boring classics. However for all three I can nip down to my local Moss branch and pretty much pick up any part I need there instantly to get one of those running or MOTd again. Quicker and easier than any of my moderns.
I've never got that. They are popular as they are good for the price & people obviously enjoy them.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I think they get berated as being boring because every other project car practical classics did would be one of them and there's only so many times you want to pay to read the same thing.

Eminently practical as a daily vehicle though with probably as good a spares supply as any modern.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I think part of the boring bit is that you don't have to spend every weekend tinkering, fixing etc. as you would with something like an original Elan.