What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

So I'm debating on this:
https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =9&t=35082

Good price for a Dolly Sprint and been on for a few weeks, so possibly could get bit of a discount. However I'm wondering if I should save a couple more months and spend £6k, instead of £3k for a better example. As we all know, it's usually better (at this end of the market) to buy one with as few faults as possible and spend a little more.

Everything on that one is within my abilities to fix, but I'm not sure I cba to be doing a shite load of welding and mechanical work again. At least I could use it straight away though.
Last edited by SiC on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

CLINT wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 am I know of a Rover SD1 Vanden Plas available for £1500. Dry stored many years. Not rotten. Not advertised anywhere. I want it but have enough on my plate. Bargain though.
Interesting! Got any more info?

(Maybe better as a PM)
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SiC wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:00 pm So I'm debating on this:

Good price for a Dolly Sprint and been on for a few weeks, so possibly could get bit of a discount. However I'm wondering if I should save a couple more months and spend £6k, instead of £3k for a better example. As we all know, it's usually better (at this end of the market) to buy one with as few faults as possible and spend a little more.

Everything on that one is within my abilities to fix, but I'm not sure I cba to be doing a shite load of welding and mechanical work again. At least I could use it straight away though.
That's a restoration project. £3000 buys fuck all resto work these days so I'd swerve it and buy a nice one. Shame - it's a pretty car and a superb colour. Don't be sidetracked into an 1850 snotter either, you want the real thing. Such a cool car and they look great when lowered a tad.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 pm That's a restoration project. £3000 buys fuck all resto work these days so I'd swerve it and buy a nice one. Shame - it's a pretty car and a superb colour. Don't be sidetracked into an 1850 snotter either, you want the real thing. Such a cool car and they look great when lowered a tad.
Yeah I understand that. The 1100 has kinda warped my view on what is a restoration project and not. So end up thinking "that's not too bad" on stuff that requires an awful lot of work.

That Dolly I should be able to do most of the work myself. Except the painting - I'm shocking with paint. But then the bits that need welding don't look like they need an artistic touch to fix.

However, even though it is a runner, I think there is a fair chunk of work there. At least it's on something worthwhile though.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I agree with the 1850. I've thought about one as a stop gap or a compromise. However I know I'll regret doing that.

Unless the 1850 is dirt cheap (e.g. sub £1k)
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

There is as much welding to do on that as there was/is on the 1100. It's a dog.

Ben
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Mate swung me some work experience in a one man bike shop, to get me a reference for the apprenticeship.

Went down today. An hour and a half after meeting the bloke for the first time, he was satisfied enough with my abilities that he's offered to pay me to run his entire shop for two weeks next month while he's on holiday.

Fuck yes.
Watch for pedestrians...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

BenHar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Ben

How do you know that? Have you seen it in person?

Even if it does, panel availability is a lot better and cheaper than for the ado16!
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

SiC wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:58 pm
BenHar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Ben

How do you know that? Have you seen it in person?

Even if it does, panel availability is a lot better and cheaper than for the ado16!
I have not seen it in person. I don't need to. The pictures show that it is rotten in all the usual places and has had some poor patching done.

Ben
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

If the 1100 only had those areas rotten, it'd been finished by now!