What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
59Impala

Re: What did you do today?

Post by 59Impala »

Or what did I do on Sunday being as it's now Tuesday. Having not driven my Anglia for two years I decided to give it a go so wandered into the garage and fired up its mighty 997cc and reversed it out of its sleeping chamber. It was running nicely so ventured out onto the highway for a little run into the next village and back. It drove as nicely as ever and got a lot of positive attention into the bargain. I was very pleased. That said I then discovered that I had left my house unlocked as my elderly neighbour had started chatting to me when I brought the car out and I got distracted :o . He's a nice guy though, ex-RAF Squadron Leader who flew Hunters/Canberras/Phantoms and er, Vulcans. And other stuff. Just wish he wouldn't distract me when I'm fiddling about with my old cars. Gratuitous photo of the Anglia with its garage companion being photo-bombed by a bomber about three years ago.
IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG (460.75 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

What a sweet little Anglebox & I know exactly where there pic was taken.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I think everyone does.. It's at an aerodrome.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Is that Just Jane?
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

chadders wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:15 pm Is that Just Jane?
Yup, Just Jane NX611 at East Kirby.
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

I was lucky enough to be given a taxi ride on Just Jane for my 60th birthday, I was nigh on 61 when the day finally arrived. It was superb, so moving to be on such an iconic aircraft but remembering those who didn't come home was sobering. East Kirkby is a great place to visit, so much to see and do plus you can feel its history. They now have a Mosquito in residence which does now taxi, you can book a ride on it but it does cost a bit. And down the road lives the BBMF at Coningsby, two Lancs a few miles apart.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Today, after work, on the customers drive, I reattached the rear part of my exhaust, which fell off at about 50mph on the way in this morning, whilst I was driving in a spirited manner down the lanes.
It was fucking hot when I picked it up.
It's an aftermarket, Powerflow, stainless job. They never took into account that someone would attach a tow bar, onto a Hilux Surf.
Thankfully, the battering it got has repositioned the hangar sufficiently that it now no longer vibrates and shouldn't keep coming off the rubber mount and generally pissing me off.
Happy accident.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

59Impala wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm And down the road lives the BBMF at Coningsby, two Lancs a few miles apart.
When we visited the BBMF one of the other visitors asked where on earth you went to for Lancaster bits, the guide said that there was still a surprising amount of new stuff about but if they got stuck they knew 2 brothers who had a Lancaster on their farm they could swap bits with.
I checked the register of known survivors but nothing else is listed in Lincolnshire.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 pm
59Impala wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm And down the road lives the BBMF at Coningsby, two Lancs a few miles apart.
When we visited the BBMF one of the other visitors asked where on earth you went to for Lancaster bits, the guide said that there was still a surprising amount of new stuff about but if they got stuck they knew 2 brothers who had a Lancaster on their farm they could swap bits with.
I checked the register of known survivors but nothing else is listed in Lincolnshire.
Aye that's the one. I think there was something around the tailplane they've swapped between them recently, I can't recall the details though.

I know the Pattons have borrowed a rear turret off Yorkshire Aircraft Museum while theirs is restored. I believe they are restoring the borrowed turret as payment before returning it next year.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 pm
That’s amazing that there’s still new stuff around 80 odd years later. I seem to remember reading that when we bombed the runway on The Falklandsin 1982, engineers were sent to museums and to rob parts off GateGuards from around the World to ensure the Vulcans could make it. And of course that was a plane still in active service.