What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by paulplom »

Aye. I will if I can find the fucker.
It only goes limp home when it's really cold in the morning. Like 5 degrees and below and on the first cold start. It never does it above that. Flicking the ignition off and back on while driving resumes the power and it doesn't come back.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

mercrocker wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:49 pm
BenHar wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:35 pm

Maybe try Captain Tolley's ?

Ben

That is what I used in the corner and it did stop the leak for a bit. However, I think it is only really effective on perished, cracked or dried rubber rather than what is essentially a new seal. It is good stuff, though, so I may use the rest of it up elsewhere around the rubber and see if it helps.
Air cooled 911s have suffered a similar issue for years. Turns out that there have been a couple of problems with those.
1. All but the Porsche OEM have been missing a bit of length in one of the internal seals. As you can imagine, the OEM costs a fortune. Now someone has faithfully reproduced it, rather than generally reproducing it.
2. A number of the non OEM windows had the wrong corner radius. This means it sits in the seal, but not far enough.
It may be time to try new glass and an OEM rubber from VW.
While the glass is out, check for rust around the flange. Sometimes they use a spot of glue during fitting and rub down the paint on that area breaking through the surface. The resulting rust bubbles a few years after opens the seal and you are never more than 6 months away from a new leak spot (ask me how I know).
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Good info, Mr Broccoli. I have got, as much as can be obtained, an OEM seal. They are quite simple one-piece extrustions - no spreader and are reportedly giving good service generally. I suspect that if there is a problem it is either in the fitting, the aperture or the glass itself.

Fitting - we have had at least four companies fit screens/rubbers to it. Two of those I have used on other cars without a problem so although there is a 50pc chance it wasn't done properly I think this last time it should have not been an issue. The fellas have fitted a Farina rear rubber without an issue and the same in my 190E - both jobs which usually send screen fitters running home to mummy.

Aperture - this has been seen by me on three occasions, the last when it had the screen out for some repairs to the seams in that area. The paint was not broken last time although I do not know that it remained intact after the screen re-fit and subsequent sealing. It may, just possibly, not be fully accurate if some repairs were made before my time.

Screen - It isn't OEM, the previous one did have a damaged corner from incorrect storage - you had to feel it to know it was there and was only found in one of the re-seal attempts. A new one was ordered but I've never liked it as it has a top tint which irritates me. Possibly it is incorrectly sized/shaped but if so it would need to be wrong in exactly the same spot where the other one was flawed - possible but improbable.

However, the fact remains this leak is in the same corner and has been all throughout this episode - 17 years. It would point to there being a structural issue - i.e. incorrectly radiused screen lip or insufficient profile. It would only need to be millimetrically out to stop the rubber fully sealing I suppose but that area has been repaired in my time with no difference to the ingress. No water appears to sit under the rubber - I've teased it back both sides and the visible steel is still Polo White.

Like I said before, it ain't a lot of water and as far as I can ascertain it isn't ticking like a time bomb under the dash but running straight down to the floorpan where there is a considerately shaped strengthening pressing, the corner of which I have now drilled and countersunk to allow drainage. All the wiring in the fusebox and heater/demist trunking that I can feel/see is dry and dusty and I have never had any mould or dampness making itself known. I now park with the floor mat turned up on that side so that I can fully dry the floor before using the van - it has just become a routine.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I'm going to sell the citroen I recently aquired.
Robson 2032 from the beige offered £850. Anyone want it before I punt it on?
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

It seemed real chilly this afternoon, I think I feel it more cos I've just had me head shaved.
IMG_20210505_155717747.jpg
IMG_20210505_155717747.jpg (419.29 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Thought I'd clean the Minor wheels up before getting another pair of ditchfinders put on. I've had the tyres since Christmas (well somebody made the mistake of asking me what I'd like) but only just got my arse in gear after discovering a slow puncture - thankfully on one that's being changed.

Gave 'em a soapy wank before rattle-canning a bit of VW Pastel White on that I had left and tidy up the chipped rims a bit. Rinsing off went a little deeper than I anticipated......

DSC07670.JPG
DSC07670.JPG (805.96 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

That'll be another can of paint at least, then....No wonder there were always flakes of paint rattling around inside the hubcaps.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Oops. Did you last paint them with magnolia emulsion.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The last 1100 I had, had powder coated wheels and the finish was great. I'm tempted to see if I can get my MGB Rostyles powder coated too.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

No, I've never painted those in the 17 years I've owned it - just put up with the gradually chipping finish. I would imagine something inconsistent with red oxide was used though.

I did briefly consider having them coated but a year or so after getting the Cowley wheels powdered there is corrosion creeping into the rims. Rather spend a fiver on another rattle-can.....

Edit - Just gone on to East Sussex Minors to get two new sets of wheel-nuts as mine are a bit grotty. They've only got 5.....Whodafuck ordered single ones?
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Enormous Victor sump plug (1 1/4 unf) to let all the lumps out.
Attachments
IMG_20210505_163329881.jpg
IMG_20210505_163329881.jpg (313.16 KiB) Viewed 2080 times