What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by paulplom »

Transit custom tinkering. I've had this ring thing since I bought the van 2 or 3 years ago. It stops the smack rats from digging the van door lock out. Removing the lock means you have to turn it clockwise with the key so you can press a little tab to relaease it. The door card came off easy enough. Nothing's changed there for 30 years that I've pissed about with them.
I had to disconnect the horns. Turning the key clockwise when the door is open causes the van to honk twice. After half a dozen times it was getting on my wick.
The hardest part was putting the lock back in and having to line up two pins on the back while keeping the key turned clockwise.
Anyway it's done and acts as a visual deterrent if nowt else. I've always used a disclok with my vans and touch wood, they've always been left alone.ImageImageImageImageImage
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Emptied the Doloshite of 1.5 years worth of accumulated junk (including a full rotten Triumph Acclaim exhaust system) and ran it down to the tip. Then drained the sump, some nice silvery clots in the oil.

On Thursday it's getting trailered away to Motherwell and stuck in a shed where I have the enviable* task of removing the shagged engine, doing the final assembly on the new engine, dropping the subframe, cutting off the front wings and front panels and repairing as required, repairing the chassis legs, probably sticking on new sills, replacing the rear wheel arches, re-bushing everything I can afford to rebush, installing the new engine and painting the fucker.

I'll not be working alone but fuck me it's going to be hard going for a while...
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

It'll stop you getting bored & if you get it factory fresh you should have months of trouble free motoring to enjoy.
Private signature, do not read
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Whole HOURS of it not being a bag of shit.

It's latest party trick is that the driver's door won't stay closed unless you jam it shut with your leg and lock it with the key.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

captain_70s wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:28 am Whole HOURS of it not being a bag of shit.

It's latest party trick is that the driver's door won't stay closed unless you jam it shut with your leg and lock it with the key.
Not sagged in the middle has it?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

captain_70s wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:28 am Whole HOURS of it not being a bag of shit.

That must make for interesting cornering, a mate of mine had a 1300 that did the same with the passenger door so you had to be locked in.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

I don't think it's sagged, everything lines up fine the door latch just won't stay in the closed position without being locked. A bit odd but will hopefully just be case of something being stuck/loose inside the locking mechanism.

Being used a handful (Pun intended) of times over the last couple of years won't be aiding it's mechanical operation.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I had Owen at work again today. Him and his sister will be 15 and 8 respectively on the 30th of this month.
I've treat him to his first tool box on the way home. A big step in the plumbing and car shite world.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

captain_70s wrote:I don't think it's sagged, everything lines up fine the door latch just won't stay in the closed position without being locked. A bit odd but will hopefully just be case of something being stuck/loose inside the locking mechanism.

Being used a handful (Pun intended) of times over the last couple of years won't be aiding it's mechanical operation.
Just ratchet strap it closed by the passenger door grab handle once your in.
Christ some people are easy beat.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Had a small scratch low down on the passenger's side just in front of the wheel arch. It hadn't gone thru to the colour so I touched in (oo-er!) with a fine brush and left it to dry. Later, I got the polish out and wore my arm out polishing it smooth. For once in my life, I appear to have done a fully decent job!

Colour me (silver) impressed.