What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: What did you do today?

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Today is the big day for my Rover. Its going to auction. 100 mad-cap miles to get it entered.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Good look. Have you a reserve on it?
And if it sells, how you getting yem?
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:44 am Hope it passes you by with no damage. Out of interest is that the usual way of doing things rather than build to withstand storms without additional reinforcement?
No, the doors are old, rotten and were badly made in the first place.
Built properly I wouldn't really worry, other than they're a huge surface area to get dragged open- big doors like that usually have provision to put a locking bar or two across (think mediæval castle style) for in case the wind gets up 50mph+

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Saab 9000 has gone a bit 'HGFish', gets hotter than it should. No Papal messages or excessive Hellmans production though.
Anyhow if it does shit itself it will go for the chop and be replaced by something of similar vintage. So I took a look at the eBay. The prices sought...for such crap, bloody hell, I haven't looked at that kind of age stuff for a couple of years.
I now find myself wondering if it's worth persevering with the Saab or spending a LOT more money for a good W124 or an E34 5 series touring. The prices are out of all proportion though.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I've reached that point where I would rather spend a considerable amount on something I already own than the ridiculous process being asked for bilge these days.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

It has ruined the once enjoyable experience of buying a new car. Now you feel like you've been shafted, even when you sort of haven't....
Of course it's not helped by seemingly everyone nowadays thinking they are some kind of wheeler dealer- hence my general dislike of such tv twaddle.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Same with selling old stuff generally. I used to take a table at the occasional antiques fair but last time I tried it all I got was "What's the death?" and other quips the great unwashed have picked up off the telly. "What's your best?" Actually, the best is for me to pack the bloody lot up and fuck off home.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I may have mentioned this before but my patience ran out at the last car boot we did as a bloke kept pestering me for a light that was already cheap. In the end I just told him to go away as I would rather smash it in the skip.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I could never do a car boot, I'd rather tip it all than deal with the mouth breathing cunts you get at those places.
Private signature, do not read
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

I did a car boot once, about ten years ago. Early on, before eight o'clock and before I had even set up stall, gypos appeared like vultures, offering derisory sums for items. What shocked me was their very apparent anger when their offers were turned down, it was as if I was a capitalist pig for wanting anything for my items, some of which were quite valuable. Better to do a stint at an autojumble or just to plonk your bits n bobs on a blanket at a car show.

Thomas Sowell