What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

captain_70s wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 am I'd give that a swerve unless you want a daily beater or a big project.

The B pillar rot is unusual and suggests it's potentially had new outer sills but not inners, always a warning sign. The A and B pillar repairs also look very fillery to me. The arches have been previously repaired badly with NOS panels and a re-rotting out, the boot floor under the fuel tank is gone which means the bottom the the tank will be wafer thin and they always go at the corners of the boot first, so that'll be fucked. There is a rust bleb on the top of the bulkhead (under bonnet shot), my 1850 had a similar bleb and a prod revealed most of the top section was wafer thin as they rust from the inside out. Fixing it is a dash/screen out job. C pillar trims do just go saggy with age, easy to tell if its rot as you prod them and they crunch, door bottoms aren't a major concern.

Potentially worth a view and a good prodding but I reckon that's one step away from being a full strip down unless you're happy running a fucked old snotter, a'la me.
This is useful stuff and exactly what I was hoping I'd get. Thanks.
panhard65 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:21 am God what a grumpy bunch lot you are. That Sprint is a bit of a project if you want perfection but it is mot'ed and can be driven. You get fuck all now days for 3 grand so it is worth a look. Buy it run it round and see if you actually like the thing before getting involved in full restorations. I am sure even if it is a total dog the worst you can lose is a couple of grand. There are no end of "restored" cars with shiney paint that are hiding far worse that that and are twice the price/ Go have a look if you like it buy it. It isn't my thing as BL never built a decent car since they took over from BMC
Exactly. I know money means different things to different people, but I always took that most on here aren't living on the breadline. £3k isn't something you want to loose but then it's not a life changing amount if you do.

However given rotten Sprints with shit paint go for £1.5k or more, there is a limit to how much would be lost if it was a complete turd.
captain_70s wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:59 am Agreed. But if you're in the position where you can save up for a couple of months and double your budget you may as well do that.

How that car got an MOT with the fuel tank hanging out it's arse I don't know. Even my local garage who passed my 1850 with the steering column holding the subframe on wouldn't have declared that alright...
Thing is, there is never many on for sale - even at double the price. One was on for sale in Northampton area on C&C for £7k. Even that said the paintwork wasn't immaculate in places.

This is what a fully restored one is at: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1130435
We will see if that actually sells at that price though. But then there always seems to be someone who is prepared to spend that.

Aren't the Dolly fuel tanks bolted in from the top? I.e. even if the boot floor was completely missing, it'd not fall right out. If so, then surely it wouldn't be an MOT failure with it hanging there.

Welding a new floor in doesn't look that difficult a job though. Doesn't even have to be tidy as it's underneath.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

I moved this fine fellow off the road. He was wiggling away like buggery until I pulled up right next to him, then he stopped moving when I picked him up which I took to be playing dead. I came back an hour later and I think he really is dead. There seems to be quite a few grass snakes round here, but sadly now theres one less.
IMG_20190712_142931310.jpg
IMG_20190712_142931310.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 4340 times
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:13 pm
Aren't the Dolly fuel tanks bolted in from the top? I.e. even if the boot floor was completely missing, it'd not fall right out. If so, then surely it wouldn't be an MOT failure with it hanging there.

Welding a new floor in doesn't look that difficult a job though. Doesn't even have to be tidy as it's underneath.
PBK should know, I collected & posted a boot floor to him late last year/early this year.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Yeah PBK and I have been in contact about Dolly's and me getting one ...
Screenshot_20190712-161805_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190712-161805_Chrome.jpg (257.85 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
... for quite a while.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Is that the reply number for that convo? it's higher than most people's post count!
Private signature, do not read
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Dolly fuel tanks are indeed bolted in from the top, 4 bolts into captive nuts. However if the boot is rotten in the middle it'll be rotten down the inside edges where it meets the rear bulkhead area. This is usually an MOT fail due to proximity to suspension components although as they tend to rot first it may well already be patched up.

Looks like it was sat from 2007-2011 and had a big fail (plenty of rust) before passing cleanly a few months later. My concern is quite a few areas that are grotty now were cropping up on the MOT years ago and are still there. Also that the PO gave it a "mini-resto" which is already failing despite the fact the car only done 1,000 miles a year and is apparently garaged. It sounds a lot like it's been tarted up a bit and flogged on back when it was still possible to pick up an example cheaply but prices were on the rise.

Of course you'll never know without seeing it in person and giving it a good prodding. The front carpets would be coming out for a start, as would the spare wheel, both are excellent at hiding Dolly rot spots...
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

Hooli wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 pm Is that the reply number for that convo? it's higher than most people's post count!
The messaging bit of that forum software is very good, good enough to use as a primary messaging system if you have a friend who, say, refuses to use a mobile phone.

IMG_7431.png
IMG_7431.png (54.42 KiB) Viewed 4312 times

It loses some of its effectiveness if that same friend gets their account banned.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

That is a nice snake. I haven't seen one so close up in detail. Hopefully it's not dead.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

There is also this one: https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =9&t=35116

Which looking through the thread it appears an awful lot of expensive work has been done. However there is stuff left to do - not least a full paint job. But then that has potential to be an absolute minter with a fantastic engine.

Plan to hopefully see the blue one this weekend ideally. Should get a proper idea of what it's like then.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Conrad D. Conelrad wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:58 pm
Hooli wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 pm Is that the reply number for that convo? it's higher than most people's post count!
The messaging bit of that forum software is very good, good enough to use as a primary messaging system if you have a friend who, say, refuses to use a mobile phone.

IMG_7431.png

It loses some of its effectiveness if that same friend gets their account banned.
Whereas the messaging system on this forum is about as shit as the search function on the other.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice