Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
RetroShite

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by RetroShite »

DodgeRover wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:57 am
RetroShite wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 pm CBT's done today so was out very briefly this afternoon on the kmx 125, great fun.
Do you have any green lanes in Scotland?
No...
There are very few places to legally off road so it's a case of going to disused quarries and slag tips.

My Mrs had a go on the KMX too.

Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Update on chinko-shite 125.

Fixed!

I found the frame mount for the LH foot controls was bent, but a long bolt inserted in the tube & twatted with a club hammer resolved that. Which was handy as until then the gear mech was jamming against the engine case.

I've ridden it around the block & it really does feel a lot bigger than a 125 except the lack of power. It dies over 1/2 throttle too, I think the carbs are gummed up to hell as it was improving even on the 1/2 mile run tonight. The 500cc version must be a fun little cruiser.

Oddly enough, that's the first time I've ever ridden a bike with forward controls on too.
Private signature, do not read
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

RetroShite wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 pm CBT's done today so was out very briefly this afternoon on the kmx 125, great fun.
How long did it last?
How much did it cost?
Were you on your own or two to one?
How many hours road work did you do?

I'm curious too see how much has changed.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

That chinko-shite cruiser didn't like full throttle, it bogs down. I've since been told it used to do that, so must be a carb fault rather than just gummed up - carbs are about the only bit original to the engine now, except the plugs. So I 'll strip them down at some point or it'll be too annoying to ride to an MOT for them.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

Warren t claim wrote:
How long did it last?
How much did it cost?
Were you on your own or two to one?
How many hours road work did you do?

I'm curious too see how much has changed.
We were in a group of 4 for the off road training which consisted of low speed clutch control, figure of 8, u turn and practicing junctions with cones in the yard.
Course started at 8am. After lunch we were split into a pair per instructor and were out on the road for 2 hours.
We were at a good standard of riding so rattled through it pretty quickly and were away for around 3pm.
I imagine if you were stuck with someone who was poor at riding it would take another few hours.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

I drove the kmx to work this morning and the clutch cable snapped just as I got to the main gate. It was interesting trying to stop and show my pass to security without a clutch.
It goes in and out of gear surprisingly easy, I just clicked it into neutral when I was coming to a stop then with the engine running used my legs to give it a push and bumped it into first.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Has it just pulled the nipple off the cable there only soldered on - if not you might be able to shorten it enough to do a temporary fix.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

DodgeRover wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:52 am Has it just pulled the nipple off the cable there only soldered on - if not you might be able to shorten it enough to do a temporary fix.
Yeah, it was just the nipple at the clutch lever end, it had split in half but I managed to get an electrician in work to solder it back onto the cable and I fitted it back onto the bike, it seems to work but the real test will be trying to drive back home.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

ImageIMG_20200918_115543004 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200918_132922633 by srblythe, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200918_132932266 by srblythe, on Flickr

Picked up another old 2 stroke, an Aprilia etx 125. I knew Aprilia's had a reputation for being quick but this one is really slow compared with the kmx. It has a restricted CDI unit and doesn't seem to have a power valve on the cylinder head. I was quite disappointed with it thinking it would be faster I would palm off the kmx to the Mrs and keep the Aprilia... Maybe when I manage to make it quicker I will have it...
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Out for a ride with a mate who's not ridden for about two years today, she was a touch* nervous when we left her's but she got a lot better during day. I just need to get her out a few more times this year & she'll be fine.

I'd upload a pic but I've just seen the upload problem for the first time.