Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Yellowperil

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by Yellowperil »

I am back on the road again, I have swapped my Yamaha SRX6 for a Yamaha Xj600 Diversion, I need some motorcycle therapy now I am single.
Pleasant enough machine, if a little slow, but I really don't care atmo.
What I want to do is fit a sidecar on it, but I don't where how to start.
Also I have fucked my back up again, so have been housebound for two weeks.
I am actually thinking of buying a motorcycle already fitted with with a sidecar, it is an itch I am desperate to scratch.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Probably easier to get something with a bit on the side already attached and mibbie a set of leading links.

I've always fancied one, but haven't got round to it. If I somehow manage to impose a compulsory chod disposal order on myself it may actually happen.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I've always fancied a 2wd Ural combo as a winter car*.
Private signature, do not read
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Early ‘80’s I had a Suzuki GS850 with a Watsonian GP Sport sidecar (looks a bit like a Steib). All properly set up with leading link forks.
Outfits are great fun, different techniques for turning left and right. Left handers require a fair amount of bravery as you have to, counter intuitively, accelerate the bike round the chair to stop it from tipping. Right handers can be fun. Tear into the bend, heave bars to the right, if you’re going too fast the front wheel will start to hop so you’ll need to lean forward to put some weight over the front. If that doesn’t work close the throttle, this will make the bike slow but the chair will want to go on consequently turning the whole thing right.
They are really physical things to ride, a real upper body workout although a well set up one will go straight on a neutral throttle.
At this point I’d scan a photo in but most of my old pics are in my daughters attic miles away in Kent.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Off road sidecar outfits are possibly the most fun you can have with your all clothes on.
Watching a novice crew is also hilarious for any spectators...
Seriously sidecar trials is about the most friendly sport you could ever get involved in. Riding a big bore 2 stroke Mx/ enduro outfit flat out down the beach is also something to be experienced.

Would definitely buy another if time space and money allow
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

Back in the early eighties I used to live in Lyng, Norfolk, known for its Cadders Hill motocross circuit.
Occasionally I used to marshall, probably out of guilt that I never once paid to get in, also marshalls got a free voucher for the chip van and I do like chips.
The adrenalin does pump when you are trying to move a big upside down sidecar outfit out of the way of other riders who are ignoring yellow flags. For some reason I always liked the sidecars more than the solos.
Fast forward a few years and a friend failed his test, so bought a Honda CX500 with a Saluki Siderider Terrier attached, I used to absolutely love being his monkey.
I got really good at hanging out as far as I could on left handers with my head brushing against the hedges.
I never realised how difficult they were to ride until I attached a Velorex to a Honda CB400N, it ended in tears of laughter from my friend as I panic braked into a left hand bend and abruptly the whole machine turned right.
I am determined to master the art, it's one of only two things I have left to try on motorcycles, the other being a season of racing.
I had a phone conversation with my Mum tonight and she has told me she will lend me the money to buy a combination, so no turning back now. I will sell the Diversion and the sidecar and buy a ready made combi.
I haven't felt this excited and terrified since I first discovered what girls have in their knickers...
Last edited by Yellowperil on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I was ONCE the monkey on a sidecar outfit which was being tested for upcoming races while at Cadwell Park. I have never been so terrified in my life! I was supposed to hang off on the bends etc but instead, I just lay on the bed bit and held on to everything solid.

I was so scared my willy climbed back inside my body and tried desperately hard to drag my balls in with it!

1000cc Suzuki motor (I think).
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

Right, so I have decided if I am going to do this I may as well be serious about it, so today I went and put a deposit down on a Kawasaki ZZR1100 with a Watsonian Monaco tub on it, hub centre steering and car wheels fitted.
All being well I will be collecting it next weekend.
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

xtriple wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:01 pm I was ONCE the monkey on a sidecar outfit which was being tested for upcoming races while at Cadwell Park. I have never been so terrified in my life! I was supposed to hang off on the bends etc but instead, I just lay on the bed bit and held on to everything solid.

I was so scared my willy climbed back inside my body and tried desperately hard to drag my balls in with it!

1000cc Suzuki motor (I think).
I knew someone who volunteered to do that at the Isle of Man, he said he had never been so scared in his life and his day job involved sitting in the back seat of RAF Buccaneers.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Similar speeds & altitude in Buccs.
Private signature, do not read