Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by Hooli »

FB_IMG_1623922851635.jpg
FB_IMG_1623922851635.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Any idea what gives a bright yellow 2" splatter diameter at about 50mph? I rode through a swarm once and had to stop to clear my visor
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Big butterflies?
Private signature, do not read
TADTS

Post by TADTS »

Warren t claim wrote:Out of curiosity, I'd love to hear about other Wobbers CBT and DAS experiences. Obviously old fuckers like me who took the Frank Spenser test which involved a run around the block while the examiner watched from the pavement don't have to reply, unless you managed to fail!
I was one of the last to pass my test in NI before we brought in the CBT / wider license changes.

Yes that's correct, until about 2011/2012 if you were 16 you could buy a 50cc machine, insure it and ride off into the sunset with no formal (or informal) training of any sort.

Same as a 17yr old on a 125. And given how easy it was to derestrict Aprilia RS125s and the like, that's the guts of 30bhp with absofuckinglutely no clue what you are doing, and many spleens were ruptured.

I managed to stay alive by waiting until my late 20s before taking the plunge. I bought a CG125 and took some lessons with the local chain smoking instructor. He was a one man band, you met him and his van full of CG125s in a quiet industrial estate on a sunday. You'd spend most of the lesson putting the cones out for him and talking shite about anything but bikes. Ex pupils would arrive for a chin wag and generally he told you to piss off round the industrial estate on your own. Always in an open face lid to keep the fegs burning.

Another lad who started at the same time was told to fuck off after the first lesson - at the end of the session he decided he was Billy big balls and tried to ride the bike school's CG125 up the ramp and into the instructors van. Only once he was on the ramp and committed did he realise it was a low van, and his head wasn't going to fit. That made a bit of a mess of the poor bike......

Anyway, I done the MOD1 with him and passed. Life got in the way but I'd been riding my own bike to and from work when they announced the incoming CBT and license changes. So I applied for the MOD2, in a test centre near work. This was a cunning move, as back then they published the test routes online. Leading up to the test I spent all my lunch breaks riding the routes, and knew them inside out and where the traps where.....

So the day of the test arrives and it's proper wet. So much so I'm literally soaked to the nutsack and a shivering wreck by the time I park up. The examiner wasn't keen to go head but he clearly thought "fuck it" and off we went to begin the test.

My bike was an absolute heap......kick start return spring was broke and I had substituted an elastic band, and I doubt it still had half the 11bhp honda bestowed upon it from new. I struggled to get it started but eventually we were off. Examiner says "now theres a point in the test I will ask you to pull over before setting off again. Normally it's an engine off job when you stop but in your case I really wouldn't risk killing the engine" thank fuck for that.....

Test went well, straight onto route 3 from the online list and had to try and act surprised / not indicate before he told me where to go next. The only hiccup was barely managing to squeeze the required 45mph out of the shit heap on the "fast" section. But I passed! After giving me the good news he said "fuck that bike off - your rear wheel is nowhere near following the front for starters"

That was me restricted to 33bhp and "R" plates for two years then any bike you want mister. That was the only way to do it back then, we didn't have the DAS option or anything else.

When Mrs done her CBT recently, it was more of the same - chatting and chain smoking. It's something I wouldn't mind having a craic at as I'm generally a cheery bastard. I taught my wife to drive a car, and she passed first time AND stayed with me so there's that. I don't smoke though.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Currently doing an engine swap on my mates thundertwat as he incorrectly fitted a new chain and it smashed the casings to bits, conveniently the replacement motor has all the exhaust studs snapped off with the remnants of drill bits in them, so a straight swap is a bit more involved as I have to put the good head off the broken engine onto the replacement one.

The damage
20210617_170643.jpg
20210617_170643.jpg (329.48 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
Where I'm at now

Engine in the bike is all disconnected and held in with one bolt, I'm too old and fragile (48!) to be lifting a 4 cylinder bike engine these days so will have to wait for assistance, then get the heads swapped over.

It must be 15 years since I've done anything like this, Ive been spoilt with new bikes for a long time, I'm actually really enjoying it apart from the lack of space to work as my garage is rammed, not ridden the green bike 500 miles this year, bought the wrong bike I'd say, have to wait until its value equals what I owe before I can change it though.
CBA
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

World it not have been easier to TIG the damage back together insitu? Even if not the prettiest it's not like thundercarts are high value machines
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:42 am World it not have been easier to TIG the damage back together insitu? Even if not the prettiest it's not like thundercarts are high value machines
Not really as I don't have a tig, the bits that were broken off were lost at 100mph, access is impossible without dropping the engine, the gearchange shaft has been bent and my mate is skinter than a skint thing, so no in summary.
CBA
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I take it you will be fitting chains for him in future?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

paulplom wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 am What's the crack with the cbt? Is the boy allowed to do it even though he hasn't ridden a moped?
I've had punters turn up for their CBT who couldn't even ride a pushbike.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

When is the government going to clamp down and introduce some much needed legislation regarding Deliveroo/Uber Eats riders? My area is swarming with them and maybe nine out of ten of them are fucking learners. Every cunting day I have a near miss with one of those twats and it's getting beyond a joke now.

The B in CBT stands for Basic. It's the bare minimum requirement to hit the roads. A couple of hours wobbling around some cones and some simple road work is now way enough training to be able to ride commercially. Plenty of these lads seem to be crashing by the looks of the number of Be Rider, credit hire bikes scooting around.

Although it's been over a decade since I instructed, and I've had plenty of drugs and alcohol since then, I'm pretty fucking sure there wasn't an element of the CBT teaching a pupil on how to ride whilst using a mobile phone to get your next delivery job.

I was following one of the (very few) fully qualified riders around a local one way system earlier and managed to spot four minor and three serious/dangerous riding faults within half a mile. Yes, I know none of us drive or ride to test standard whenever we venture out, but this lad was oblivious to the fact he was nearly taken out by a Bidvest 18 tonner.

Rant over.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.