Rusty Triumphs in Scotland

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Rusty Triumphs in Scotland

Post by Hooli »

Aye I was expecting chunks missing from the shells from how you'd described it.
Private signature, do not read
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Fingernail across crank surface shows pronounced scores on all aside from no.2.

With new shells it'd go again but if at that point I'd be as well having the crank reground.

I'm curious to know what the bottom end of the old engine is like.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Right, so this hasn't been updated for a while...

In terms of the Doloshite I now have this.

It's a pre-rationalisation Triumph 1300cc OHV, fully rebuilt. Reground crank and new big/small end + main bearings, new thrust washers rebore and new pistons + rings, core plugs and oil galley plugs removed, galleys cleaned and new plugs fitted, new timing chain, refurbished cylinder head + probably other things I've forgotten.

You may be wondering how I did all this? I didn't, a bloke on The Beige who goes by Jikovron built it for me at cost of parts. It was collected from Chesterfield during the last AS meet at Cannock motor auction, David Fowler kindly lugged it back North in his Volvo at short notice as the Acclaim would have barely been able to hold motorway speeds with that sort of weight in it.

Lack of any working space means full engine rebuilds are a bit out of my league - The Mk4 Spitfire in my bedroom shall stay there as I'd quite like to rebuild it purely as an exercise in rebuilding an engine once facilities allow.

Next I need to remove the engine from the Dolly and strip some Dolly specific bits to complete the new engine. No idea when that'll take place given how the world is now fucked and my employment is in a perilous place.

There isn't much to say about the Acclaim, it's not running too great, presumably due to carb issues. Hopefully if the weather stays half decent I'll be able to look at it. I did fuck about with it a bit t'other week and found it is a bit fruity with the air box lid off...

The radiator has started weeping from one corner, which is nice.

I also replaced the wipers, glad to find my nut/bolt arrangement entirely functional due to copious use of copper slip when assembling.

Winter weather has really done a number on the lower third of the car though...

Made a start on keeping the rust at bay today, sanded back the rear arches grotty sill patch and the rust on the doors, Vactan'd and rattle canned.

Bodgery but it should keep it looking presentable for a couple of months and slow down further corrosion. I also did an oil + filter change while the weather was nice.

I've acquired the last NOS OSF Acclaim wing from Rimmer Bros as the one on the car is utterly hanging and the new one was only £40...

Somebody also rammed it up the arse on the motorway and bent the rear bumper which I have roughly pryed and bashed back into shape.

Overall not too bad for a £850 car doing 10,000 miles a year in a fairly harsh environment.

Hooli

Post by Hooli »

That new engine looks lovely.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

The world might indeed be fucked, Cap'n but it is still the better for stuff like this going on.....As befits your rank, I salute you!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

1. How in the name of fuck is that Accraim still going? You got a set of wheels that just won't quit boy.

2. 1500 engine looks a honey.

Looking f'ward to updates.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

1 - It's a late 70s Honda, one that was used daily until about 2014 and was only relegated to "show car" status for a couple of years before I got hold of it. Mechanically it's all original as far as I can tell and has been treated to regular servicing and use. If the bodywork wasn't falling apart it'd be great, but that's just British cars and our shit climate.

2 - 1300 ;) But yeah, can't wait to get it dropped in the car. The old lump was fucked from day one so I've never actually experienced the full 58bhp which should have been generated...

This year was supposed to be the year, my employment was looking evolve into a proper full time gig, the girlfriend has been job hunting and was hoping to move in with me. Potential of moving to a place with a garage once I paid off my debts.
Sadly this Corona fuckery has now left me potentially facing potential unemployment at the end of the month and my girlfriend isn't going to have much luck with finding a job now half the market has closed down and the rest isn't really suitable for a "high risk" Type 1 diabetic with a family with a variety of medical issues...

Fucking about with the cars is a nice distraction and this is the first time this year weather has really allowed it without it being a miserable experience.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Fingers crossed mate.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Current update (as of yesterday) is my contract will be extended on a rolling monthly basis until this Corona chaos subsides, so I should at least remain employed on a proper contract (with sick pay etc).

On the flipside due to the cars being parked on the street and not my private property I can't technically work on them until the lockdown is over. I also won't be seeing my girlfriend for the foreseeable future for the same reason, all of which is rather an arse.

Just as well I did the oil change on the Acclaim on Sunday given I still need it to go to/from work...
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Groups of two are allowed when out to 'exercise' so just walk to the same places as she will. Maybe you'll like walking in a particular place so drive there too.

Good news on the job front though.