Too much technology?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AlabamaShrimp

Re: Too much technology?

Post by AlabamaShrimp »

What happens when drivers become too used to relying on all this crap and can't actually drive when it starts to fail?

No lane departure thing. 'well I didn't mean to crash but the car didn't tell me it was leaving its lane'.
These are some words.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I've thought the same with ABS, it should be switchable on learner's cars so they have to learn to drive without it.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I've only had ABS triggered a few times so I'm not certain that learners would get into a situation where it would be triggered unless they were driving in extreme conditions.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Anything that over-rides vehicle control by the driver can get in the sea. I never really came across anything that interfered with my "job" at the wheel until I bought my T25. Using all the available "power" to get up a hill with a caravan came completely unstuck when it cut out at a crucial point in the climb. Apparently the fucking thing had a rev limiter in the form of a cut-out on the rotor arm....Needless to say, it hasn't now. Thirteen years on, I still haven't managed to grenade the engine so I guess I know what I am doing.

I really don't care what "they" do to cars other people drive but I don't want any of it in mine.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

I'd wager a relatively new driver who has a brand new hot hatch would kill themselves on my trike which has about 50bhp in less than a week.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

chadders wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:45 pm I've only had ABS triggered a few times so I'm not certain that learners would get into a situation where it would be triggered unless they were driving in extreme conditions.
Two words for you - emergency stop.

You don't learn anything stamping on the brakes & letting the ABS stop you. They should have to learn to load the front by pressing & not stamping, along with judging grip so they don't trigger the ABS/skid.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Fair enough. It's a long time since I passed my test and had forgotten about this.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Why would you want to remove/take abs away? its a massive safety aid and learning to drive without it is pretty pointless for 99.9% of folk, its there, its works, you can steer when performing an emergency stop and all you have to do is mash the pedal as hard as you can, my eldest wrote her car off last week (a 6 month old polo) and the first thing she did when we picked up her replacement Bini was to ask me to go out with her and practice emergency stops from speed, she didn't realise just how hard you could brake and after a few goes she was confident to absolutely nail the pedal repeatedly from 80mph, had we tried this in her Polo when she got it it might not have been written of ;)

I agree that here is too much pointless tech on cars, the aforementioned dead Polo had the emergency braking thing fitted, it triggered twice on me whilst passing a car that was turning into a junction ahead of me, I knew the car would be gone when I got there but the Polo didn't, and it performed an emergency stop with no input from myself, annoying :(

It also had park assist which twirled the wheel for you, I was sceptical at first but it really did work well and got me into a space about 2 foot longer than the car, not an issue for me as I'm obviously awesome at parking but I can see the benefit of it.

I'm all for some of the other tech though, radar cruise control is fantastic, parking aids and camera's are also great and have saved my blushes on a couple of occasions whilst trying to park in a tight spot in a dark carpark, ASR has proved its worth when the wife had to perform an emergency manouver on a wet motorway and the car just sorted it out, without it the car would have gone out of control and we would have had a big accident, stuff like lane assist is bollocks though, I recently had a Mitsubishi Outlander for a day or two and it drove me fucking insane, It was poorly implemented and you had to turn it off every time you started the car, electric tailgates can also fuck right off, they just won't close if you have a boot full of squashy bags and you can't just push it closed like you would on a normal car.

Android Auto and smartphone integration is fantastic these days, but as none of my cars have it I can only hope, I am happy enough with climate, bluetooth, cruise and auto, which my A3 has, but being the S Line it unfortunately has no suspension :( the wife's 307 is like a limo in comparison.
CBA
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I tell you why they can take ABS and shove it up their arse - Fucking MOT-failing warning lights on my £300 Fiesta which do not affect the safety of the car in any way (it has far better anchors than anything else I drive) but mean that I have to play light roulette when booking my MOT. Yes, I have cleaned the sensors and all the other bollocks but this kind of shit just gets in the way of running what would otherwise be an excellent car.

Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old Luddite (actually I am not sorry, I don't care...) but the modern motor car just doesn't do it for me, largely because of all the unwanted shit they come with.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I only want an illuminated ignition key switch and they won't even do that.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.