Too much technology?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
cros
The Elastrator

Re: Too much technology?

Post by cros »

According to a Dutch caravan manual, Germany has set a maximum speed limit for a car not equipped with ABS towing a caravan at 80kph. Cunts.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I think that Bosch owns the ABS patents.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

chadders wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 am I don't think that they'e interested.

Tough. It should be part of the training as part of returning driving to being a skill not a right.
Private signature, do not read
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I won't own a car without ABS. My E36 Touring had it disabled by some genius- well actually it didn't work because the pump was faulty and the cunt took the bulbs out. So I had it scanned, found the fault, fixed it for 20 quid and 2 hours work including bleeding and fresh fluid. It won't save you all the time but it's very clever. Everyone thinks they're a serious driver, but it's when, as in 2012, that feckless moron in a Mondeo just pulls out in front of you. That's when you need it and the car I was driving had no ABS. Brake, skid, wet road, wheels lock up, smash. Fucking great.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Oh aye ABS is good, but having a basic idea how cars actually work dynamically & how to use brakes without ABS (when it brakes like yours) is as far as I'm concerned a damned good idea for all drivers.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

ABS: Should be switch off-able, because hee-haw use on fresh snow. If the argument can be made for it in the rarest of circumstances, then this is valid.

ABS on motorcycles can get in the sea.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Eddie Honda wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm
I've never tried it. I've ridden one ABS equipped bike but never triggered it. Is it that bad?

My argument above stands too, as all training bikes need ABS these days & it's very likely the learner will then get on a non-ABS bike after their test & not have the basic skills to stop hard if needed.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

I've triggered the abs on my bike a few times, on each new bike I get I try and lock the front a few times to get a feel for it, its also triggered a couple of times on bumpy downhill bends causing me to run wider than I'd like and its also triggered twice when I have had to slam on when some dozy cunt has tried to kill me, and prevented me locking the front and going down at 1**mph, for that reason alone I wouldn't have a bike without it, my current Z1000 has cornering abs, which allows you to brake all the way up to and beyond the apex, I'm not brave enough to try it on the road but I'll see what its like at Oulton next week.
CBA
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Hooli wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:14 pm
Eddie Honda wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm
I've never tried it. I've ridden one ABS equipped bike but never triggered it. Is it that bad
Not bad. You’ve never triggered it because you’re riding properly.
MLOR

Post by MLOR »

cros wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:57 am According to a Dutch caravan manual, Germany has set a maximum speed limit for a car not equipped with ABS towing a caravan at 80kph. Cunts.
Pity a SdKfz 2 Kettenkrad can only do 80kph flat out never mind with a tin snail on the back... :(