Eddie Honda's wheels of steel (and occasionally alloy)

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: Eddie Honda's wheels of steel (and occasionally alloy)

Post by Eddie Honda »

In between trying to get some of the jungle cut outside, I had to get the some seats out of the Jizz.

Jizz

Last week I put the magic seats down in the back to dump some bits of wood at the tip. The seats stayed down the rest of the week as it was only me in the car. Towards the end of the week, every time I got into the car it was whiffing a bit and no amount of smoking in the car (followed by air freshener) was masking it.

Lifted the seats in the back and they were soggy and a bit mouldy on the leading edge, as was the carpet in the rear. Time to sort out the leak that I've been putting off since buying the thing 5 years ago. Seasoned Jizzists will know that the sealant splodged between the rear of the roof seam where it joins the C-post will crack and let in water that finds its way into the spare wheel well. The pool can soon build up and upon some tasty braking will slosh out of the front of the well and soak anything in front of it. Seven push in trim clips are removed for the boot floor spare wheel cover (where it attaches to the rear seats) and four actual bolts will have the 60/40 split back seat units out, but it's another load of messing around with trim edging and removing the front seats to pull the (one piece) carpet up, so that's on hold for a minute.

Also has tipped over 137,500 miles so due another (12,500 mi / 20,000 km) service, but I need to get some parts in. The Honda dealer I usually use is being an arse. When garages had to shut here (30th April), the Service dept sent texts out to cancel appointments which meant my 3rd April slot for getting the passenger airbag inflator changed under recall was off. When they finally went back (18th May), they didn't bother looking at their cancelled appointments to rearrange (basic customer service). When I eventually bothered chased them up (17th Jun) the reception ask for my number so I could be called back (basic customer service). Needless to say, they never called back. The only trouble of sacking them off for another dealer is there aren't many and none are close.

306 Cabrio

The Pug is doing my head in also, having got the pliers out to open the bonnet (cable end fucked), I also remembered that I had another job to do other than charge the dead battery up (last used when the front spring broke). The left hand bonnet hinge has a sheared pivot (TADTS), so the bonnet doesn't go back down square. I retrieved a dropped battery strap bolt from a previous occasion that was jammed low between the battery box and inner wing, ran a die down it to clean up the thread and put the charged battery back in. Started up fairly easily, unstuck off the brakes fairly easily and parked it out on the street. Roof went down ok, but needed a manual intervention 3/4 of the way through the back up sequence. Still haven't done the spring yet. NCT looming as due 4th August (after a four month extension from 4th April) Exhaust needs sorting as do the rear brakes / handbrake.

BMW RT
Got the stand straightened up since it went wonky when one of the pivot bolts made a bid for freedom. Either lost, misplaced one of the spacers, so need to get one ordered in. Got loads of work to do to it, but really need it supported on its centre stand to proceed.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Still nowt on the Reliants?
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Erm, not quite yet. It's slid down the queue again

Note to self: must try harder.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Was just out for a smoke-o in the man cave 10 mins ago. Finished my ciggie and just as I was leaving the shed, heard a loudish bang. I could see some heads over the side wall and just reached inside the back door to grab a torch and investigate.

3 lads were still there by the low outer wall so I enquired to where it came from. Certainly they jumped too. They pointed at the 306 which I moved off the drive Saturday to over the road. Shone the torch round the windows and the glass was all there. Shone it inside and the airbag hadn't gone pop.

A quick flick of the torch under the front arches and it seems that the passenger side front spring has come out in sympathy with the driver's side one :lol:

Good job I bought a pair!
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

They all do that sir
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

They do indeed. I may ask ruffgeezer where the front springs came from - he fitted a pair to it during his custodianship - I hope they weren't KYB as that what I have to go on as replacements.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Still no news on the Reliant front :( , RT still giving me grief, etc.

However in other news (from Tommy):
Screenshot_20200820_124922.png
Screenshot_20200820_124922.png (110.21 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:32 pmJizz

Seasoned Jizzists will know that the sealant splodged between the rear of the roof seam where it joins the C-post will crack and let in water that finds its way into the spare wheel well. The pool can soon build up and upon some tasty braking will slosh out of the front of the well and soak anything in front of it.
The spare wheel well on mine was full to the brim. It must have been full for ages as there were barnacles on the rusted solid jack. Carrying that much water weight probably knocked a the MPG down a little.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

I knew the Jag passed its mot 5 minutes after it did, I still have the reg on my knowyourcar app for some reason and it made me smile :)
CBA
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Eddie Honda wrote:Still no news on the Reliant front :( , RT still giving me grief, etc.

However in other news (from Tommy):
Screenshot_20200820_124922.png
Yes that’s the stuff

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.