1974 Dolomite Sprint

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1974 Dolomite Sprint

Post by SiC »

fried onions wrote:What colour is it? Grey and red is too gaudy for an old Triumph, paint it black instead.
The car? French blue. Unfortunately modern 2k paint not cellulose. But it does make it rather vibrant.

Just about bright enough for me on the Sprint. I would have preferred yellow or orange though. But it's a nice blue. This is the type of car that is shouty, shouty, look at me I'm the fastest type car. Back when Triumph was neck and neck with BMW on performance car for the journeyman - possibly ruled over and better than in some ways. Apart from the build quality, courtesy of the Speke factory workers. Now it's BMW that owns the Triumph marque and trademarks.

Last edited by SiC on Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Holy woolly mammoth shit in buckets.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

These were built in Canley. Toledos were Speke (but not all) and early TR7’s.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I thought by this time, all the body shells were pressed at Speke?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Managed to get enough enthusiasm tonight to get a bit more done. Prime job was removing the brake pedal. To do this, the wiper motor had to come out as there is a bracing bar that goes across. The bar is spot welded to the wiper motor plate and the other end is held behind the wiper spindle.

You can just about see the bar here. Bit of a crap design - almost feels modern car thinking where it probably was done like that to make it easier to make in the factory.

However the spindle needs to come off. Naturally the nut was completely seized on. I really need to get a nut splitter, but without one I hacked away at the soft metal of the nut with chisel.

After a disconcerting about of movement on the windscreen with each blow against the chisel back, I split the nut. I really hope that these nuts are still available to buy!

With that off, the motor and plate came out easy enough.

Next was the pedal. Straight forward with four bolts to remove.

Behind wasn't as bad as I feared. This feels like a strengthener plate is behind this.

Cleaned it all up with the wire wheel again and splattered Krust all over the area.

Then tomorrow I'll probably coat it with a layer of paint. Longer term I think this will need cutting out and redoing. It's pitted but still feels reasonably solid when hit with a blunt screwdriver and a mallet against the back. However there are one or two pitted holes that now go through after the wire wheel was run across it. I'm hoping it will be easier to repair this area properly with fresh metal once the windscreen is out.

Next job will be to weld the inside area. Just checked my welding gas levels and the pressure gauge is just reading off minimum. I don't think BOC or my local supplier are open until the New Year. Great.

Will have to tack it in for now and then try getting as much done as possible. Also ordered some Bilt Hammer S-50 Cavity Wax to fill and protect this area once done.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Just because I found this on FB.

Dolly Sprint Advert.jpg
Dolly Sprint Advert.jpg (75.03 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I think BL marketing department might be over egging the 0-60 slightly. Most reports put it at best around 9.6 seconds. Also the comparison cars ... Capri 1.6? Why not the 2.0 or V6?

Funnily I was at my storage when you posted that. Went to check out my new bay. It's in a different shed and it was quite interesting seeing what was there. Naturally there were at least 2 E-Types and possibly a third. Plus a McLaren 600 according to the cover and a few other exotic cars.

Cars always look good under the dim lights of shed. Dolomite looks in excellent nick. Shame it's not so much when its out in the daylight. Looking forward to getting it back out and finishing it.

I'd also love that 348 too.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Those Sprints always look lowered to me. I know it's factory but they look lower than most factory sports saloons.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Mine isn't factory height. It has adjustable Spax shocks and I think lowering springs. I have some new shocks to go on that should bring it to nearer stock. Probably keep the lowering springs though as stock looks a bit too high imo.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

It does look good as is, I'd forgot it was lowered.