1974 Dolomite Sprint

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: 1974 Dolomite Sprint

Post by DodgeRover »

Don't know if your budget can run to it but look up tri-iso or thermal quilt insulation, fix it in the same way as you intended with the black sheet. It's really good on the insulation value.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:13 pm Seen this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333759566288
Wings are welded on in the factory, so not a straight swap. Really irritating that. That panel has gone exactly the same place that I've cut off on mine, where I need to weld on the replacement repair piece.
DodgeRover wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:09 am Don't know if your budget can run to it but look up tri-iso or thermal quilt insulation, fix it in the same way as you intended with the black sheet. It's really good on the insulation value.
Just looked up the cost of it. Looks like £90 for 1.2m x 10m roll, so I'd need around 3 rolls at £270. I probably could stretch to £100 atm, but not too much more for a few months really. Also the issue of the car being in the way and getting up there to attach it. It's why I haven't put up the black plastic yet either.

I presume OSB is alright for a garage ceiling? I like the idea that I can just screw it up with my impact driver without too much fuss. As it's wood I can then screw in stuff to hang off it (ladders, bikes, etc). Is 9mm sufficient in for this use case?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Some DPM will make a big difference for now. Just get some help and a staple gun. Cut it roughly over size first and it'll be up in minutes. Hopefully condensation won't be too much of a problem.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Just do the job properly the first time around, you want to be able to access the loft as it looks a good storage space. Ladder access through a hatch ideal. Easy for me to say with hindsight but you should have made that your first job when you moved in and the garage was empty.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

fried onions wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:26 pm Just do the job properly the first time around, you want to be able to access the loft as it looks a good storage space. Ladder access through a hatch ideal. Easy for me to say with hindsight but you should have made that your first job when you moved in and the garage was empty.
We moved in early March. Two weeks later, by the time we'd got our stuff unpacked, the country went into full lockdown and screwed up all the plans for getting stuff sorted.

Even getting paint for the floor and walls was tricky in finding a place open and enough tins. Then there was the frustration of my tools stuck in storage. Not just being in lockdown and unable to do anything, but also the 200quid pcm it was costing to not have them. I'd loved to have got it sorted before hand but I just couldn't get materials.

Currently the loft space is full of my RC planes. Really could do with selling a few and minimising the collection. Not least I haven't flown them for at least 5 years now.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I certainly wouldn't worry too much about insulating and heating the garage. Yes it is a little cold at the moment, I find a super ser heater to warm my hands up every now and again is good enough. It will soon be summer and then it will be too hot. My workshop is in an old greenhouse and in the 10 years I have been down here in Somerset I have never once got the space heater out. The landlords did insulate the glass roof last year which was more to stop it falling in than to make things better as it still leaks like a sieve. A nice bit of ice cold water down the back of the neck every now and again is character building. So basically man up and get welding you will soon warm up. The dolly is coming along well now, keep up the good work.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

With the windscreen area done, the A-Pillar is next.

After cleaning up with the wire wheel I could clearly see the old repairs.

These were cut out.

New metal put in and welded up. The gap at the pillar looks way too big, but it matches the otherside. I guess standard BL varying panel gaps!

Then painted.

The reverse I made up new metal from templates

But after a lot of attempts, I couldn't get anything that worked properly. So ended up going freestyle and hammering into shape.

Ended up alright, except I struggled to get the paint to stick. Ended up using a heatgun to try getting some heat in

Didn't help that the garage has been pretty chilly! Thankfully I've got a new diesel heater to replace the one I broke (filler dust killed it).

Today has been tackling the base of the a-pillar

The underneath looked pretty funky under there, so I knew I needed to cut the bottom off. It's gone like this as the water from the channel between the wing above goes down the A-Pillar and settles here. Unfortunately its just another rot trap.

So it had to be cut off.

After a session with the wire wheel, it doesn't look so bad.

But pitted and thin in areas, it had to be cut out. This left me with a rather large hole.

At which point my diesel heater ran out of cherry and the temperature was dropping rapidly, I decided to call it a day for tonight.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Great work!
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Some good work being done there, don't you fancy learning enough about painting to give it a go?
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

By the way heater may run better on kerosene and old engine oil rather than diesel in the mix