Extinct. The Dinosaurs of the Scrappage Scheme

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Undercover Shitter

Re: Extinct. The Dinosaurs of the Scrappage Scheme

Post by Undercover Shitter »

Although it is a shame some very interesting and rare cars met their demise as a result of the scheme, I mainly miss the mundane stuff which once littered the streets, which ended up being crushed by the thousand.

I could go on about missing the chance to enjoy some quality barges, but the disappearance of stuff I didn't particularly like at the time has hit home after reading this thread.

Take for example the Mk3 Fiesta. I never really liked it. They pretty much embodied everything that was wrong with Ford back in the early 1990s. Fairly uninspiring engines, bland designs and utterly dreadful interiors. However, despite this I really miss seeing them around. So much so, I would be tempted if I saw a cheap one for sale locally.

Same with the Citroen AX; I never liked them when they were everywhere. My mum had a grey one and I hated it at the time. Nonetheless, ten years after the scrappage scheme cut the numbers significantly I have started to warm to them and their crisp design. I haven't seen one out in the wild for a long time, and think the scheme did a massive part in making this the current situation.

Of course it could be argued that a lot would have been scrapped in the intervening 10 years since the scheme, but even if 10% of the scrapped cars had survived it would still be a decent number more than we have today.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

That's exactly what I'm thinking, too.
If only ten percent of the scrappage scheme fodder would have survived, we could begin to turn our minds to WBoD selection. But there isn't even enough out there to serve the few bikers that are going to survive this season.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

In my experience as a car salesman during scrappage, it was the best examples of these cars that got scrapped.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

That's exactly what the Audi dealer down the street from me told me.
In his words: "It's a crying shame"
And this is from a man that has a vested interest in as many cars as possible being scrapped.

Did you notice the quite interesting point the septic made in his vid? One I didn't think of, namely that the used car market has a bigger economic impact than previously estimated. I would think it even took a proportionally bigger hit here than there because the proportion of private used car sales is comparatively smaller.

So, what did factually happen here?

- The state gave a man who had been contemplating anyway to get rid of his perfectly useable car and buy a new one money they took from people who can't afford to buy a new car.

- Once the transaction was done, they sifted off a chunk a good size larger than what they put in in the first place in form of this insane 20% VAT that destroys everything. A scam, that if I planned it, I'd probably still be in prison just for planning it.

- Instead of the old car now being flogged to someone who can't afford to buy a new car, but was forced to finance the whole scam in the first place, it got scrapped.

- This social engineering scam was sold to the public as an incentive for cleaner air and job security in the car industry and they fell for it.

Well, it partially works. The air will be cleaner, because a lot more people can no longer afford to drive. But what happens to the jobs in the car industry you can read in the papers every day. As a solution for that, those sociopaths will roll out one scrappage scheme after the other and the public will fall for it time and again.
The air will get cleaner, that's for sure.

Besides, did you notice that there aren't even any 90s VWs left?
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Balls. Even without a scrappage scheme, numbers of 90s cars in circulation would have dropped off a cliff because "old" (>15). It's been going on for years and it's driven by "cheap" debt and keeping up with the neighbours bollocks.

VAT isn't as much bollocks as registration taxes (VRT, BPM, 1st year VED rates, etc.)
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Back in the early 2000's 90's stuff was cheap as I used to buy passat 1.6td's for next to nothing. I had a couple of them the most expensive was 35 quid. (I spent a couple of hundred on brakes and shocks etc) It was a great car econimical and massive inside. I went to France with it with a few mates who were buying wine. Of the 3 cars (a near new Audi A4 and a Jag xk8 I was always first to arrive on the long runs as it had such a big tank I filled up once when they filled up 3 ot 4 times. I sold it to some bloke who did a banger rally to Spain in it, they loved it so much they drove it back and went a couple more times before it died. 10 Year old cars were relativly cheap back in 2000 compared to now
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Wanna know where "your" 90s cars are? I've just been out to Lidl and found this flash bastard who can afford to (and willingly) pay the VRT on this 25 Executive! Flash, because it's not even 30 years old yet! (for cheap VRT & Motor Tax purposes)

Yep, Mr O'Irish has been coming over, stealing your cars....
IMG_20190806_141101_7a.jpg
IMG_20190806_141101_7a.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 4297 times
(Or maybe it's just seems too good an opportunity not to with the current exchange rates)
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Eddie Honda wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:51 pm Balls. Even without a scrappage scheme, numbers of 90s cars in circulation would have dropped off a cliff because "old" (>15). It's been going on for years and it's driven by "cheap" debt and keeping up with the neighbours bollocks.

VAT isn't as much bollocks as registration taxes (VRT, BPM, 1st year VED rates, etc.)
That is entirely correct, all we are doing is stating the fact that the SS in no insignificant way helped to practically wipe out 1990s tat. There are actually more 1980s cars on offer.
This is not the case in countries that didn't have a scrappage scheme at the time. Checking mobile.de and leboncoin, the situation there is as you would expect it to be.
Last edited by Junkman on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Eddie Honda wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:40 pm Wanna know where "your" 90s cars are? I've just been out to Lidl and found this flash bastard who can afford to (and willingly) pay the VRT on this 25 Executive! Flash, because it's not even 30 years old yet! (for cheap VRT & Motor Tax purposes)

Yep, Mr O'Irish has been coming over, stealing your cars....

IMG_20190806_141101_7a.jpg

(Or maybe it's just seems too good an opportunity not to with the current exchange rates)
Bloody foreigners.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

90s car where shit anyway.
Junkman wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:31 pm There is precious little 1990s tat left out there that can be hoovered up for peanuts and run into the ground in the shortest possible time.
There's loads of 80s stuff because it's made it through the banger stage. There's enough 90s stuff to those that want to preserve. 00s stuff is for running into the ground, not 90s. Move on with the times. ;)