Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by Hooli »

That is very bloo
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Hooli wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:05 pmThat is very bloo
Only so much blue you can take before you get sick of the sight of it! Glad to say that bits over now apart from some external bits i can do later once ive had a break from Bloo Fever :roll:

:lol:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Meanwhile..........................

So the engine painting is finished bar a few seperate brackets,valve covers,airbox etc but they will be done post engine refitting ;)

So yesterday was a day of getting throughly mucky degreasing years of grime from an engine bay :(

No matter how much you try there will always be paint reactions in that sort of enviroment so my approach is get it as possibly clean as you can,key the surface degrease prime and paint with cheap paint (in this case wheel paint) let it dry and cure and go back and see where theres been a reaction and they tackle those areas!

Once happy overcoat with the real mixed shade of paint ;)

Anyway

Primer Anyone?

It even looks better and very different in primer :)

[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'd just sling the lump back in without doing any of that, I'm a bodgerist.
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Hooli wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 am I'd just sling the lump back in without doing any of that, I'm a bodgerist.
Ive been tempted :roll:

Painting engine bays its a Thankless Task :lol:

Mainly only doing it because the jerk that painted the bay did far worse than a five year old with adhd could do :roll:

And id rather it look a bit lacklustere in its original abysmal faktory shade innit ;)
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Sitting at home waiting for parts being delivered by Slooooooowwww Couriers!

Car isnt here neither is Sam who is working so cant do anything but wait in :(

Feel like I am wasting the day :cry:

And talking about wasting got a new sump gasket today but its no good :x

Not the vendors fault just me trying to be clever as last week everybody I rang in the uk didnt have the right gasket then I saw a NOS 351 Gasket I mean 302 and 351's are both Windsor Small Blocks so will be the same wont they?

Err No!

Well they are until the seperate seal at the end of the crank at the front of the pan they are equal size and interchangeable on a 302 set yet much larger on the 351 :x

My fault must try harder not to be so smug in thinking I know what im actually doing!

Once all deliveroos are completed Im back round there to finish off engine bay ...............

The bay is painted and on the whole it has come out nice all things considered however once base and lacquer were on I wished I had spent more prep time in some areas as the top corners where the wings meet the scuttle (triangulation plates) have reacted :(

And the battery tray area is really pitted including the bit thats not covered by the battery :(

So will be taking them back to metal and doing just them again as Isolated spot repairs.

I know I will never ever get them perfect but I would like to get them the best I possibly can as once the engine is back in theres no going back.............

Ok so still have to finish it but in all honest I have broke the camels back :mrgreen:
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Keep up the good work, any news on the box yet?
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:42 pm Keep up the good work, any news on the box yet?
No not yet just going to finish off the reactions then send him some pics of what ive done as he was also insterested in the project :mrgreen:

When I do that I will get an ETA on when its coming home ;)

As is often the case once you start something like this the original tidy up the more you do the more you want to :roll:

My mate suggested I just blow overthe Master Cylinder/Servo as despit being new last year had already gone rusty :(

Blew it over using cheap wheel paint and i looks crap :cry:

Plus its coming back off again so now going to get some of this stuff

I also got a little lapse with my masking now I need to buy some vacuum hose and a few other assorted bits :roll:

:lol:

Hoping in the next day or two to have to engine bay project boxed off
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Looks like you're making good progress and now's the right time to do all of this.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Really tired today,my mate gets back of Holliday soon so had to finish the bay off.

Its the best I can get it I still have three paint reactions but luckily they are at the top of the bay where I can get to even when the motor goes back in :)

So exhausted yet high as a kite tonight but it looks a lot better inder there now than it did 😁

Tomorrow is just small details and touching things up and removing paint from pipes and other things I plain forgot to mask up then after that I can start to bolt things back to the inner wings (fenders)

Yee Haa