Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - MOT Passed

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8

Post by bub2006 »

I worked on quality control and line welding many moons back. It is a skill I'd like to brush up again. Used mig mainly but never stick which is odd seeing what's in the boot of the car.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Stick welding seems relatively easy but I've only ever done it on thick stuff so no chance of blowing holes.
MIG I can manage but gas I've never done.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I've noticed the MOT on this runs out on 28th of this month, guess I'd better cover that other hole in the floor soon.
Private signature, do not read
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Talking of MOTs, it's still doing it's occasional 'No DSC, No ABS, Trac not available' followed by 'Engine Failsafe Mode' trick to annoy me. Normally between 8-12miles into a trip.

When it started doing it very occasionally it didn't log any codes my ODBII reader could see. But now it's started logging P1646 & P1121. I've not googled the latter yet, but the first one appears to refer to the upper O2 sensor on bank one. So a faulty lamba, that'd explain the fuel code too I bet. It'd also explain the failsafe mode which restricts the engine to just under 2,000rpm & stops it responding to the throttle.

I'll do a bit more googling etc to confirm it & see if there is way to test the sensor, I've seen something about 5Ohm across grey wires but that referred to an S-type so might not apply.

I guess I'd better do this before it's test too, as I'm sure it'll push the emissions well out. Interestingly* I'm pretty sure it's the same O2 sensor Richardthestag had to replace on the blue Sov I had previously.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

If I'm correct it's not too expensive to replace.

https://www.jagspares.co.uk/product/lam ... a1682ae**1***

£ 78.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Update - The P1121 code is the more important one, as having read the manual I forgot I had that's a 'no TPS reading' error & the cause of it dropping into failsafe mode. There are two TPS on these cars (of course) both on the throttle body, one does pedal position (as it's connected via a cable) and the other the throttle butterfly. Only the latter can be swapped, the former needs a new throttle body. I've had the connectors off & filled them with contact cleaner, which appears to have helped. Previously both codes came back right away when cleared, now only the O2 sensor code is. I'll confirm if that's worked when I drive to work tomorrow, but it'll be a result if so.

The O2 sensor looks an easy enough swap too, access is ok from above with just a few bits of plastic removed. I should have cleaned it's connections tonight too, but I didn't think of it till the intake pipe etc was back on. So I'll try that tomorrow, but I'll be surprised if it works.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

N̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶d̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶.̶

New O2 sensor ordered, it'll be here tomorrow giving me time to fit it before the MOT runs out.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Four times it dropped into failsafe this morning FFS, so it's not fixed.

More investigation required, but as the sensor can't be got separately I bet this is why it's so easy to buy a throttle body for these cars.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

OBDII OBLADA? Isn't that a Beatles song?
Watch for pedestrians...
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Oh cock! As James May would say.

While trying to sort the TPS I've discovered a little bit more minor* rot. Turns out the shock top fits into a panel that's welded into the inner wing. Except for about 50% of the NSF plate isn't, which at least explains the suspension clunk I couldn't find...

Looks like it's going in for welding before an MOT, once I have a rough price I will probably get them to do the floor too while they are at it.
20190912_161847.jpg
20190912_161847.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
20190912_162115.jpg
20190912_162115.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 4898 times