Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - MOT Passed

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Supercharging the climate with a XJR V8 - Bloody Rot!

Post by Hooli »

The only other rot I can find is minor surface stuff and the corners under the rear lights. I will have a damned good look at the other inner wing too.

I suspect this is partly due to its early life in that there London and slamming over speed bumps all day.

My neighbour has offered me use of a mig welder but knowing how my previous attempts turned out I don't feel brave enough to do structural stuff like this. I will try and learn on other things like making bits for my Triumph that really needs to get back on the road over winter.
Private signature, do not read
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Ahhh bollocks!

I really really really should learn to just paint underseal over surface rust & not brush it back with the intention of plastering it in kurust & paint first. It turns out the floor isn't connected to the sill on the driver's side for about 6" and a rear suspension bracket has a hole in it, amongst other minor* issues.

This is going to be an expensive MOT. If I could weld I'd try to do it myself but it's something I've never been able to get the hang of. So I've treated it with kurust & I shall now ignore it till the TPS turns up next week & I can get it to the garage for a price/booked in.

Passenger side isn't too bad apart from the hole i fillered the other week.
20190914_120648.jpg
20190914_120648.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
However this is the bracket holding the rear subframe on the NSR.
20190914_120704_000.jpg
20190914_120704_000.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
The driver's side floor isn't attached here.
20190914_125907.jpg
20190914_125907.jpg (46.45 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
Oh & my trolley jack has decided it won't go past half height, I think it needs oil but no real idea how much to top them up with or though which hole.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Looking at the complete lack of seam sealer, it's amazing it's lasted this long.
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

they all do that sir. boils my piss it does because £10 spent in the factory would have avoided this.

You need to learn to weld, get a mig and practice on scrap steel. this is how I started 2 years ago. within minutes i was getting the hang of it. thing is that everytime I weld (or paint for that matter) I learn something new
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I've owned a Mig & practiced on a XR4i, I never got any better. I didn't understand what I was doing wrong so couldn't improve.

TBH the state of my back these days, palming such jobs off to a garage is more & more tempting anyway. It just doesn't seem worth being in pain for several days to save the money.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

What happened to under seal under that Jag? It all looks like it's unprotected
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

That's how they do it. It's got a thin layer of stone chip stuff, in those pics I've already wirebrushed the rough bits back & painted with rust killer in places.

It is crap though, not nearly enough seam sealer or underseal to properly protect it.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Updatings!

I've replaced the TPS so it drives again. You're meant to do a complicated calibration process using the dealer only JIS software as the TPS only comes as part of a throttle body. So I put live data on my el-cheapo ODBII reader, found the old TPS read 2% throttle with the ignition on & the engine off, so I adjusted the new one to near enough the same point & it runs fine.

I've dropped it off at the garage today, his words at seeing the inner wing were 'Fuck, I've never seen one do that before!' which is obviously* a good sign... They are swapping the lamba I couldn't get undone too, along with the other stuff that needs doing. I suspect my credit card will grow to hate this car....

This is obviously ideal* timing for all the wet weather we're getting as I now only have the bike on the road.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Having said that, it's almost 20 years old. How long was it supposed to last before rusting? Go back 20 years, and a 19 year old Jag was found in a museum. My 1977 XJS needed extensive bodywork in 1985, and again in 1990.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Aye it's of that age that it needs saving from old age or running as a banger, I'm trying to do the former as I'd like to keep it long term.