Jag! The Ghostly fleet thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Reliable Honda Engine: a spectral fleet thread

Post by SiC »

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4375219266

Jobs jobbed.

(I've seen that car in the flesh. It's in pretty good nick. Owner was sound too. )
ghosty

Re: Reliable Honda Engine: a spectral fleet thread

Post by ghosty »

Reality happened to the Caprice. I like the leBaron but I bet it's megabucks.

Haven't heard from the Eunos seller again yet.

I have a viewer for the Civic tomorrow, and might have another waiting in the wings...
Watch for pedestrians...
ghosty

Re: Reliable Mazda Engine: a spectral fleet thread

Post by ghosty »

Civic viewer agreed to buy it for a good price, left a deposit, and I got to keep my wheels and steering wheels too.

Once the V5 gets back it's going.

I bought the MX-5, too:

collection was open and shut, drive to Notts, drive back, so there's little to tell.

The power output is a bit of a mystery as some sources say the auto 1.6 has different cams for higher torque and lower compression, quoting 100bhp. Various online car checking sites claim 120bhp though, and 120 feels like the right figure as it feels faster than the Civic - considering it's 70kg heavier than the Civic (which has about 120 as well) it'd make sense if it made better power (also twincam vs SOHC). Mazda is much more fun to drive too, firmer, more planted, easier to chuck about, more comfortable, better build quality etc. It's an absolutely lovely thing and I've got a lot for my £950. There's nothing untoward and aside a couple of small jobs (crank sensor leaking oil, brake pads, tracking etc) it's good to go. Runs faultlessly, and is probably the best four-cylinder engine and gearbox combo I've driven, it's really smooth and punchy. Even my best running D-Series doesn't come close.

By a lot for my money, I mean:
  • mph gauge faces already installed, but the odometer/trip is still in km (oh well)
  • no rust, the rear arches and sill ends are as they came from the factory
  • adjustable coilovers
  • a roll hoop
  • Jackson Racing HT leads
  • a decent looking cone filter (not fitted, won't be fitting)
  • original alloys on fucked tyres
  • MX-3 15x6 wheels on Chinese tyres (fitted, will remove as I still have my Panasports with RainExperts on to use in the interim, Civic buyer didn't want them)
  • the hood was replaced two years ago, and has a heated glass rear screen!
  • a Bluetooth head unit
  • working aircon!

Most MX-5s at this price point are bog standard or very close to it, and often in poor condition. This one is a good'un though.
It's had a respray at some point, and not a very good one, as the body sides up to the swage line have textured paint, like they were done in stonechip then painted over gloss. It looks fine there, it's just odd. The paint is smooth and shiny, and looks good if not scrutinised heavily, but close up it has some issues. I'm choosing to ignore these as they're all minor things. There is some overspray on the door seals though that I'll be cleaning up.

Drove home with the roof down natch, it's great fun. Not nearly as bad as I expected a roadster to be. It's an absolute pleasure to drive, and after this I simply can't go back to Hondas, it's a revelation. Also, with the roof up it's perfectly civilised and it's less cramped than I thought. It can be a bit dark with the roof up as everything inside is black, but that's nothing. Visibility is good too. I don't have a single bad thing to say about it, it's an absolute hoot to drive.
The seats are squishier than they look and very comfortable, unlike the Prelude I had.

The front grille has one of those wanky stainless things in there with some LEDs on it that I'm not sure work. That's getting binned right away. The dash also had some push-fit red piping along the centre, that I immediately pulled out as it looked shit. The white gauge faces aren't too offensive though, and I can't be fucked messing in the cluster so they can stay. The standard ones are black anyway so the white breaks it up a bit.

I like it a lot. Seller was a great guy, very easy to deal with. We looked the car over, took it for a test drive, secretly looked it over a bit more, came back and made an offer, which was aforementioned £950. In the ebay ad it said if it sold for the asking price the original wheels were included, I said, in light of the work it needs I'd want the wheels as well (I eventually want to powdercoat and fit them back), and he accepted if I drove away there an then - I was intending to anyway.

I drove it back from Notts by taking A-roads to Mansfield, the M1 to Worksop then the A57 to Glossop, messed about in the peaks for a bit as I was having too much fun, then rolled on home. It was completely faultless.

Best car I've bought for a while, between this and the T5 I'm very well sorted now.

Watch for pedestrians...
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Looks a nice fun car Max, but:
Best car I've bought for a while, between this and the T5 I'm very well sorted now.
Famous last words?
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

ghosty wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:36 am Mazda is much more fun to drive too, firmer, more planted, easier to chuck about, more comfortable, better build quality etc.
<Snip>
Runs faultlessly, and is probably the best four-cylinder engine and gearbox combo I've driven, it's really smooth and punchy. Even my best running D-Series doesn't come close.
<Snip>
Drove home with the roof down natch, it's great fun.
<Snip>
It's an absolute pleasure to drive, and after this I simply can't go back to Hondas, it's a revelation.
<Snip,>
I don't have a single bad thing to say about it, it's an absolute hoot to drive.
<Snip>
I like it a lot.
<Snip>
I was having too much fun, then rolled on home.
<Snip>
Best car I've bought for a while
I thought you might like it! Hence my (and others) strongly worded last few posts. ;)

I really don't understand why here in the UK we have "enthusiasts" berating popular, fun and excellent affordable sports cars. MX5? Hair dressers car. MGB? Sherpa convertible/coupe. Capri? Crap Mustang copy. Etcetera etcetera.

Even the Boxster which isn't cheap gets labeled as a poor man's Porsche. A bit like Nick saying at Shitefest, it's often snobbishness.

I do see a lot of 20 something men in MX5 MK1 and MK2 nowadays though. I guess cheap, reliable RWD fun
Last edited by SiC on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Incidentally, don't bin the grille in the front mouth just yet. They weren't stock out of the factory, but they are a useful addition to stop stones, branches, animals, etc from punching a hole in your radiator/condenser or leaves collecting and rusting it out. Being low to the ground they do have a habit of picking up all sorts of detritus. Maybe just remove the shit lights and spray it black on the one on it though!
John F

Post by John F »

GAY!!!

lol, just kidding.

Good purchase, it looks very tidy & aren't they're a hoot to drive? Even though it's an auto, which no roadster should ever be :-)
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

The drive is wonderful. With 1st and 2nd gear lock, and switchable o/d on the (Jatco) box, it's a good auto. The propulsion has a crisp, smooth feel I've felt in very few autos. It reminded me a lot of the 2.0 auto 405 actually.

Good call on painting the grille black SiC, I might do that, might even have paint about. I was thinking of getting some fine mesh netting as a better solution though. The lights can definitely get in the sea though.
Watch for pedestrians...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

ghosty wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:00 am The drive is wonderful. With 1st and 2nd gear lock, and switchable o/d on the (Jatco) box, it's a good auto. The propulsion has a crisp, smooth feel I've felt in very few autos.
Which is why they used it in the black cab.

Do you have a manual driving licence? If so, you ought to try a manual MX5 sometime. Even if you couldn't live with one long term.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Next question ... how many times have you made the lights go up? When we had our MX5 I think I must have done that for a few minutes not long after buying it.

Lights go up .... Lights go down ... Lights go up ... Lights go down

Speaking of which, I bought it back in 2007/2008 when I was on a placement year at uni. It felt really old when I bought it, but looking at the age, it was actually younger than the Boxster I've not long bought. Probably not the most sensible of purchases at the time either, but had an awful lot of fun out of it. Nothing nicer than a crisp winters morning with the hood down, blatting along the A419/A420.

Which probably explains the interesting MOT history later in life (I'd already sold it by then).
10122008164.jpg
10122008164.jpg (518.21 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
10122008165.jpg
10122008165.jpg (496.02 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
Are you insured to drive any car third party yet on your insurance? Or not quite old enough for insurers to start doing that? (Iirc need to be main driver and many require them to be >25yrs)