Jag! The Ghostly fleet thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Re: Reliable Honda Engine: a spectral fleet thread

Post by CLINT »

Fair play, you don't mess about do you!
OMG U OK HUN?
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Nope, things like this can't wait, and never do - luckily my job fits around working on cars in the daytime, and my dad is semi retired now, so free to help 95% of the time, he's working on the car before I even wake up (I keep off kilter hours because I work late). I don't want him to and I've asked him multiple times not to but he can't be stopped. At least he only does mundane things without me such as clip on hoses etc. He did however leave the bonnet outside while he was working, down the side of the house in a 3' gap instead of in the garage, leaning on a wall shorter than it. It promptly blew over and the trailing edge now has a load of chips in the paint down to the metal where it landed on a brick wall, and seems to be slightly bent. I'm a bit pissed off at that to say the least, he can be a fucking dolt at times (and people on the beige wonder why I resent him sometimes). I asked him why he didn't keep it in the garage, where you don't have to go round an awkward corner to set it down, and he just shrugged. I despair.

Besides, I'm motivated to keep on as I need my fourth parking space back pretty urgently, I have an S90 waiting to fill it when the keys are found (it's become a bit of an ordeal) and an MOT is booked.

Does anyone know how to notify Swansea of changes in engine capacity, btw? Civic's going to have to change tax classes as it's now 1590cc as opposed to 1396, and the crossover is at 1550 (oh well).
Watch for pedestrians...
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

I wouldn't be your dad.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

No, you have your shit together.
Watch for pedestrians...
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I thought a lot about whether to post anything but here goes:

I think that you're being unfair to your dad but it's a natural thing.
I had this with my youngest, who's now 23. You're in the hands off stage but from a dad point of view he's spent 20 odd years doing things for you and can't change just like that, especially with what you're doing if he was an engineer.
If it's like my relationship with my youngest son was I'd have probably just shrugged as any more would have resulted in an argument.
This might be complete bollocks, I don't know you or your dad, but will say that Joe and I get along pretty well now but it was a fucking nightmare for a few years whilst we reset the boundaries.
stillOrange

Post by stillOrange »

Hi there Max.

Apologies for all the Volvo shit. That is unfortunately my fault. I shouldn't have depended on other people like that.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Insurance might be a bit scary. My lad has got an '04 Mini Cooper S which we put a Toyosports exhaust on. To me it has made fuck all difference just a lot more noise. He has decided that he is going to tell the insurance company about it. (I would of played dumb and said it was on it when I got it) It makes a massive difference to the quote. His renewal was about 500 quid (22 with 4 years no claims) With the exhaust his current company won't cover it (he asked them what it would cost if he replaced the exhaust with a stainless steel one) they said if it wasn't an OE exhaust they wouldn't cover it. After a lot of quotes the best he can find is just under a grand and that is just for putting an exhaust on it, apparently even stickers are seen as a modification. Insurance in the UK is a fucking nightmare now, they just seem to make it up as they go along it really needs stricter controls put on the robbing bastards.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

ghosty wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:51 am
Does anyone know how to notify Swansea of changes in engine capacity, btw? Civic's going to have to change tax classes as it's now 1590cc as opposed to 1396, and the crossover is at 1550 (oh well).
There always was a section on the V5c to do it, I think on page two near where you do a change of address. You'll need to tell them the new engine number at the same time.
Private signature, do not read
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Junkman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 am I wouldn't be your dad.
I might be. Pics of your mum 20 years ago please
OMG U OK HUN?
John F

Post by John F »

chadders wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:29 am I thought a lot about whether to post anything but here goes:

I think that you're being unfair to your dad but it's a natural thing.
I had this with my youngest, who's now 23. You're in the hands off stage but from a dad point of view he's spent 20 odd years doing things for you and can't change just like that, especially with what you're doing if he was an engineer.
If it's like my relationship with my youngest son was I'd have probably just shrugged as any more would have resulted in an argument.
This might be complete bollocks, I don't know you or your dad, but will say that Joe and I get along pretty well now but it was a fucking nightmare for a few years whilst we reset the boundaries.
Agreed. I think you're being unfair to your dad as well. He's teaching you to mend cars, give him some credit for that. But even if you weren't being unfair to him, I still wouldn't want to read about it in here.
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana