Jag! The Ghostly fleet thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Re: Reliable Honda Engine: a spectral fleet thread

Post by CLINT »

Still loads to do in the Wolseley. I would prefer to sell you my Triumph Acclaim but no, it isn't auto.

I do have a Citroen Zx diesel auto with major laquer peel though. I hadn't really thought about selling it but I suppose I could. Nothing wrong with it really although it's been laid up a couple of years.
OMG U OK HUN?
NergleFuttocks
Globalist Imperialist Pig Dog!

Post by NergleFuttocks »

Please stop looking at Jaguar XJ40s. They will frustrate the living hell out of you. Any XJ40 that doesn’t FTP will be a sorted one, and they also FTP. Sorted ones cost the money that we all shout OVERPRICED at in ads because only the top 10% work when you want them to. They are the ones with the new fuel pumps, the new radiators, the new electrickery, the new steering racks, the weldathons completed, the new heating and ventilation systems etc etc.

The only person I would trust to source a market priced 40 from would be Naki K over on XJ40.com as he knows his onions.

Rob Jenner is the ultimate guru on such matters but he is top end only. He deals in the upper end, and will probably be responsible for the gradual increase in market price for these cars as he breaks all the knackered ones to keep the best ones on the road.

Sorry to be a damp squib, but these cars are heartbreakers and mojo vacuums.

Happy to be proved incorrect here, but I am not guessing at any of this.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

XJ40s were great when they were £400 throwaway cars. I had a couple of them 15 years ago or so. They were ok but no way would I want to get financially involved with one.

If you do get one though, I know a chap in Worcester who is fixated on them and appears to know all their foibles and how to sort them cheaply. He is on the XJ40 forum but don't know his username.
OMG U OK HUN?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Not sure why you'd want a cheap XJ40 when the XJ6 is a very similar car really and still at the bargain end of the spectrum. What happened to the forum bike red one that I had? N118 MFV - was it Eddie Honda who owns it ATM?
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

NergleFuttocks wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:17 pm Please stop looking at Jaguar XJ40s. They will frustrate the living hell out of you.
Sorry to be a damp squib, but these cars are heartbreakers and mojo vacuums.
Ah come on, they can't be that bad surely? I keep looking at these because I'd rather throw my money away on one than importing an X300 and giving all my money to Mr O'Taxman.
SiC wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:35 pm What happened to the forum bike red one that I had? N118 MFV - was it Eddie Honda who owns it ATM?
Yep, >I've still got it< and intend to get it through the next MOT (due Aug 22). This is because the family holiday at the end of August which was originally pencilled in for France has been nudged in different direction to Scotland. Mrs H thinks we'll be flying into Glasgow and using the 306 (which may happen if there is an unexpected period of drought in the west of Scotland), but more likely than not I'll be "borrowing Tommy's"* Jaaag.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I don't want an X300, the styling does nothing for me.

Flat4alfa on the beige says I can buy a K plate Safrane V6 off him for £600, which is tempting.
Watch for pedestrians...
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Did he win it in the raffle or did the raffle fall through? If he won it then 600 notes will net a tidy profit fair him and fair play to him too. I liked the look of that safrane.
Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert »

I'd happily roll in that Safrane as well, but you might find it a bit close to the Volvo in terms of purpose with it being a similar size and era?

Considering your budget you could probably find a not-shit XJ40 within reach if you can be fussy and patient.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

bub2006 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:03 pm Did he win it in the raffle or did the raffle fall through? If he won it then 600 notes will net a tidy profit fair him and fair play to him too. I liked the look of that safrane.
He won it. Price isn't too bad as Schaefft wanted a bag for it.

I sort of like it but I'm not exactly sure it's what I'm looking for. The market is oddly barren at the moment.

Old Man is trying to steer me onto BMWs and MX-5s, but I'm not really up for that.
Watch for pedestrians...
John F

Post by John F »

MX5s are probably as cheap as they're ever going to be now, and there's plenty of info available as to how to fettle them.

Leave it too much longer & that boat will have sailed though, any survivors will surely go up in value.
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana