Dans septic wannabe ovloV!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Dans septic wannabe ovloV!

Post by Hooli »

I never liked the phase 2 V70s, the original square ones were proper Volvos though.
Private signature, do not read
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

I love Volvo’s, almost as much as I love Ford’s! I liked them even as a kid and used to collect toy Volvo’s.
I got my first Volvo when I was 18. That was a very late J reg 340 1.7GL, coming from an absolutely shit 1.4 Ford Orion it was a revelation! Ok, technically it’s not a ‘true’ Volvo but it was a fantastic car. It was mint too, one elderly owner from new and it had 50k odd miles on it when I got it.
I kept that for ages, and it was joined by a 79 Volvo 244 (the early type with the big fuck off bumpers). Then I got a 700 saloon, which was cheap and after a bit of work bringing it back from almost dead it proved to be a fantastic car. It was that 740 that really did it for me though, they’re just one of those cars that fits me perfectly and it never gave me any trouble in the decade I owned it. I stupidly sold it though when I bought the Mercury to make a bit of space. Which was the first time I’d not had a Volvo!
I knew selling that car was a shit idea, it just didn’t sit well but did it anyway and regretted it as soon as I handed the keys over.
After that I decided I wanted another one and this one came up so I bagged it! I won’t be making the same mistake again though. The estate version is a really handy tool to have too, and it’s come in handy for towing with.

I did briefly have an 850 2.5GLE, bought cheap as the owner was leaving the country. That was a nice car too, unmistakably a Volvo despite front drive and it absolutely flew. That was sold to a mate who desperately needed a car. He couldn’t afford to keep running it though so sold it to a mate of his who ruined it. A big engined auto was apparently a novelty to him so he ragged the shit out of it everywhere. Eventually the gearbox expired and it got scrapped. Bloody idiot.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Hooli wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:58 am I never liked the phase 2 V70s, the original square ones were proper Volvos though.
It just did eveything so well. Cruised in total comfort with 50+mpg. I did 850 miles in one stint on a trip to France and managed 58mpg. Even towing the caravan would give mid 30's. Probably the best sounding stereo.
The turning circle was shit though. But the d5 engine has to be the best diesel ever built too. Great noise for an oil burner.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Danthecapriman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:50 am Trying to undo them didn’t work though! They were well on there and snapping them was going to mean having to remove the manifold to get them out - which I really didn’t want to do!
I’ve got a really good blow torch on my work van which managed to get the nuts cherry red hot. A couple of try’s with that had all three off with no damage whatsoever. Amazing what a bit of heat does.
A vital bit of kit to have for stubborn nuts.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Best seats EVUR in my S60.
Last edited by The Reverend Bluejeans on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:14 am Best sears EVUR in my S60.
Whut?

Ben
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Seats m8 carnt u speak are langauge?
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Aren't we supposed to call them chairs on t'Internet?
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Volvo seats are superb imho. Really comfortable and supportive.
I’ve got a fucked back, and Volvo seats are about the only ones I can sit in indefinitely without any aching or discomfort. And you do sit ‘in’ them, they’re like a lovely old arm chair. Compared to many modern seats that you tend to sit ‘on’ which are like church pews!
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I believe that they were the first manufacturer to produce anatomically-contoured seats (in the Amazon).
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......