Fleet Occurrences

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SubPar

Re: Fleet Occurrences

Post by SubPar »

A scrapper, eh?

My scrapper.

We were getting some funny looks in the car park... The joys of living in a flat.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

As long as you don't mind being known as 'the car person' whom people ask for help on that basis.

That's what I'm known as at my bit but I don't mind.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I replaced the mirror on the Civic today, all works perfectly.
Screenshot_20210826-162028_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210826-162028_Video Player.jpg (190.55 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
I will do a bit more on the Cavalier tomorrow. I need to make a gasket for the thermostat housing where it bolts to the head as new ones are of course utterly unheard of.

Over the weekend I hope to at least test the new boot loom on the Civic.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Split_Pin wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:37 pm I will do a bit more on the Cavalier tomorrow. I need to make a gasket for the thermostat housing where it bolts to the head as new ones are of course utterly unheard of.
Are you making one of these? If so, you really ought to raise your game like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353292269733
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Do you actually need a gasket? Could you not just use some of that blue stuff (instant gasket)?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... sacat=6030
I had a new sump fitted on a transit a few years ago and they just used that blue stuff with no gasket.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:43 am
Split_Pin wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:37 pm I will do a bit more on the Cavalier tomorrow. I need to make a gasket for the thermostat housing where it bolts to the head as new ones are of course utterly unheard of.
Are you making one of these? If so, you really ought to raise your game like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353292269733
Please let me know what you typed in to find that, I had no luck.

It's a simple shape though so I should be able to make it, only because the delivery time is over a week away for the one you posted up.

I originally used Hylomar on the top part of the thermostat and it didn't work.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie skillz

(I guess he looked up the part number and searched on that)
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Split_Pin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:16 am Please let me know what you typed in to find that, I had no luck.
Pretty much as Si says. According to Google spy (browser history) I spent 35 mins (00:07 to 00:42) looking and cross-checking and reading posts here in between.

First was checking the vehicle / engine from the reg. Cavvy III, 1.7 turbot dizzler, Isuzu lump. LU8.

Next was having a quick look at the Elring catalogue and finding nothing.

Go to look at the GM electronic parts catalogue for a picture and part number. https://webautocats.com/epc/vauxhall/j89/f/31/ Then make sure I'm looking at the 1.7TD housing at the bottom and not the other one for the non-turbos.

Shove GM part number for item 12 into Google and look at some pictures if available.

Waste some time looking at Isuzu Gemini stuff.

Have a look at the Victor Reinz catalogue and see it in a complete set, but not individually.

See that the stealers, probably want just under a tenner for it.

Find it on ebay for less.

Couple of points to note: The best starting point is a manufacturer's part number even if obsolete. I was looking for brake switches before and looking up by vehicle offered me a M10x1 tapered thread switch being the "right" one. However the correct one is M10x1 parallel thread which you could still get in the same catalogue if you searched by manufacturer's part number, but there were no referenced vehicles for that part. So beware of all the third-party supplier catalogues having errors, and the same errors at that. Also consider what else it might be fitted to e.g. Volvo D16 1.6 diesel = Renault F8M. Vauxhall > Opel and other GM brands.
Split_Pin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:16 am It's a simple shape though so I should be able to make it, only because the delivery time is over a week away for the one you posted up.
I've done so myself in the past when I needed one "yesterday". I've got a set of these in the tool box:

Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Making gaskets, even complicated ones is very simple if you have access to the part. You can make that in a couple of minutes with a bit of cereal packet and a small ball peen hammer. A smear of silicone on both sides if you want to go OTT.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:38 am
Split_Pin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:16 am Please let me know what you typed in to find that, I had no luck.
Pretty much as Si says. According to Google spy (browser history) I spent 35 mins (00:07 to 00:42) looking and cross-checking and reading posts here in between.

First was checking the vehicle / engine from the reg. Cavvy III, 1.7 turbot dizzler, Isuzu lump. LU8.

Next was having a quick look at the Elring catalogue and finding nothing.

Go to look at the GM electronic parts catalogue for a picture and part number. https://webautocats.com/epc/vauxhall/j89/f/31/ Then make sure I'm looking at the 1.7TD housing at the bottom and not the other one for the non-turbos.

Shove GM part number for item 12 into Google and look at some pictures if available.

Waste some time looking at Isuzu Gemini stuff.

Have a look at the Victor Reinz catalogue and see it in a complete set, but not individually.

See that the stealers, probably want just under a tenner for it.

Find it on ebay for less.

Couple of points to note: The best starting point is a manufacturer's part number even if obsolete. I was looking for brake switches before and looking up by vehicle offered me a M10x1 tapered thread switch being the "right" one. However the correct one is M10x1 parallel thread which you could still get in the same catalogue if you searched by manufacturer's part number, but there were no referenced vehicles for that part. So beware of all the third-party supplier catalogues having errors, and the same errors at that. Also consider what else it might be fitted to e.g. Volvo D16 1.6 diesel = Renault F8M. Vauxhall > Opel and other GM brands.
Split_Pin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:16 am It's a simple shape though so I should be able to make it, only because the delivery time is over a week away for the one you posted up.
I've done so myself in the past when I needed one "yesterday". I've got a set of these in the tool box:

Thanks Eddie, I'll use that link in future.

Speaking of parts, guess who just found out when he took the thermostat housing off and compared it with the replacement, that there are TWO different types.......