Austin A70 Hampshire

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
captain_70s

Re: Austin A70 Hampshire

Post by captain_70s »

These are mega porridge.

Too miserly and blocky for me, well done for actually going and buying though and not sitting on the internet moaning how criminal it is that it's rotting into the ground or getting bangered.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

captain_70s wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:56 am These are mega porridge.

Too miserly and blocky for me, well done for actually going and buying though and not sitting on the internet moaning how criminal it is that it's rotting into the ground or getting bangered.
Hey we’re all different which is great because it would be boring if we all liked the same thing. I’m not a fan of Volvos or Saabs because I find them extremely dull and don’t like the styling.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

cros wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:55 am Are those A40 doors? It would be most unlike Austin not to use them on several different cars. Anyway, best of luck with it.
Unfortunately they appear to be unique to the Hampshire (at least the skins are) as the sweeping curves on them are much higher than on the Devon. Somerset and Hereford doors are the same.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

mercrocker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:35 am Great write-up, look forward to more! These and the A40 Dorset have all but disappeared (although I do know where a Dorset lurks, it has been severely customised) but I did see a beautiful example in the New Forest a few summers back. Is it going to be a realistic prospect, this one?
Yes. Just about I think.

I promised the late owner’s nephew I would restore it.

It’s very very rare for a start.
It’s also very original and low mileage - just badly stored!

I am under no illusions about the extent of the rot, but it hasn’t been got at by years of bodge artists.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Great write up ta. Not for the faint hearted I'm sure, it'll be good to see it being revived.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I look forward to pictures in all its horrific glory. Hopefully you can save it. Might be worth asking on the banger sites of anybody has any panels to swap or interior parts if they are worn or damaged
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

DodgeRover wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:41 pm I look forward to pictures in all its horrific glory. Hopefully you can save it. Might be worth asking on the banger sites of anybody has any panels to swap or interior parts if they are worn or damaged
Great idea, unfortunately? They are so rare I can’t recall seeing one getting raced.
The interior on this is pretty good, all things considered.
I would like to find a set of decent secondhand doors but about the only place I’m likely to find some is from another owner who broke a car in the 60s/70s. I’m going to pop a wanted ad in the club mag.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

LOB is a Brum number so it may have been registered new to Austin Longbridge.

It's a miracle it's made it this far.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

angrydicky wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:38 pm
DodgeRover wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:41 pm I look forward to pictures in all its horrific glory. Hopefully you can save it. Might be worth asking on the banger sites of anybody has any panels to swap or interior parts if they are worn or damaged
Great idea, unfortunately? They are so rare I can’t recall seeing one getting raced.
The interior on this is pretty good, all things considered.
I would like to find a set of decent secondhand doors but about the only place I’m likely to find some is from another owner who broke a car in the 60s/70s. I’m going to pop a wanted ad in the club mag.
I'll ask about the people I know down here for you as long as you don't mind doing panel swaps.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Thanks, yes if you get any leads please let me know. The club are holding one of their twice-yearly 'barn days' in about three weeks time so I'm going to go along and have a mooch around. The spares fella reckons there's at least a couple of Hampshire doors up there but he couldn't remember the condition.