Too much technology?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: Too much technology?

Post by LynehamHerc »

fried onions wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:44 pm Cruise control is good, aircon I can live without. A lot depends on how well things are designed, for example with the organ accelerator pedals I can go all day but others leave me aching after a few hours.
I'm the opposite. Aircon I use but never got on with cruise control, even after 10 years in my Galaxy which was mainly used on dual carriageways and motorways, for 300 miles at a time, as a university shuttle bus. I just felt I'd lost a bit of control if that makes sense.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I understand that loss of control thing. I know it is a tool just like the throttle or the brake pedal but I would rather use my left foot. Minute movements are all I seem to need to keep my foot from aching on a long run - even in winkle-pickers!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

For a motorway cruiser I wouldn't be without cruise or aircon.

I use cruise a lot more than I thought I would, especially in the XJR. It's so easy to pick up a silly amount of speed in it, I tend to use cruise all the time in town as well as the open road.

Aircon keeps it nice & quiet in the car on hot days, I'm sure some of industrial deafness (which is worse in my right ear) comes from driving at speed with a window open for hours, it can get noisey in older cars as we all know.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

First thing I do in any car is wind my down. Just habitual, I have always done it. Only extreme pissing rain or snow sees it go back up. Drives the missus mad - another reason I won't have electric windows that she can put back up from her side when she is driving.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Same from Australia I think. Large engine large car with auto and AC but bugger all else. Sure I've seen some large Holden's with windy windows too
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

On my X Trail I've disconnected the annoying bleeping noise that tells you to put your seatbelt on. Before, even just putting a small bag of shopping on the passenger seat would set it off. Infuriating.
Last edited by CLINT on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMG U OK HUN?
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Oh yeah, that shit really makes my blood boil. It's like sitting in Three Mile Island control centre with all the flashing lights and alarms to tell me a side door isn't shut properly.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

The thought of people relying on radar cruise control and lane control to enable them to continue to drive at 80mph on the motorway whilst in torrential rains or dense fog scares the crap out of me TBH, how long before it doesn't detect broken down vehicle which has had to stay in lane as there's no hard shoulder anymore? The driver will be only nominally in control as they were so used to the car doing everything for them
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Aircon is only cool when you have it and others don't.
When others have it and you don't, it's shit.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:42 pm The thought of people relying on radar cruise control and lane control to enable them to continue to drive at 80mph on the motorway whilst in torrential rains or dense fog scares the crap out of me TBH, how long before it doesn't detect broken down vehicle which has had to stay in lane as there's no hard shoulder anymore? The driver will be only nominally in control as they were so used to the car doing everything for them
I'm really not a fan of the lane assist. It's off all the time lately. The radar cruise is great but I found it can be too sensitive and applys too much brake or warns of a collision when there's no such thing in the way. It's a good device but I really don't rely on it.