What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: What did you do today?

Post by DodgeRover »

Bollocks :(

Any luck with dropping across a replacement lump? Being tight I've had one new liner fitted and bored to suit a used piston if there is any damage.

Will a Cummins 6BT fit?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Arthur Foxhake wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:09 pm Today I removed the sump on the 508.
One of the big end caps was in there, along with the snapped bolts, and a snapped main bolt.
The bottom of the con-rod had pierced the sump and there was piston shrapnel in amongst the proceedings.
Bonzer.
Head removal next to see the extent of the damage to the block.
That sucks :-(
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Arthur Foxhake wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:09 pm Today I removed the sump on the 508.
One of the big end caps was in there, along with the snapped bolts, and a snapped main bolt.
The bottom of the con-rod had pierced the sump and there was piston shrapnel in amongst the proceedings.
Bonzer.
Horrible, not an easy thing to fix and I'm guessing the prospect of finding a decent replacement engine are not good.
John F

Post by John F »

Bonzer.
It was big end failure, then... arse.

How easy is it to find a replacement lump? It might be cheaper & quicker than rebuilding the one you have.
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

There's not many about that I can find at the moment.
One on eBay for £500 that "doesn't turn now but did when removed 6 years ago"
Got a few people on the lookout, the chap I bought it from knows of a couple that are laid up.
The fact is, any engine I put in will have to be rebuilt.
I can't trust another unknown quantity. If the one I have is salvageable, I'll use it. If not, it gets more expensive.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

There must be a few sat about in field or on sites as live ins that will never see the road again.

Did you find anything left of the shells for the big end? I wonder if they had gone or if it snapped a bolt first? Did the crank look buggered?
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Yesterday evening I Fitted the new lateral control arm to the other halfs RX300 that caused the recovery back home, just got one bolt that I need to salvage or find a replacement for.

Also sold the caravan for full asking price, put it on Facebook and had over 50 messages for it within a couple of hours!

Slept till 4pm today obviously been a bit sleep deprived for the last few weeks!

Thinking of an excuse not to go to work for another week, a looming credit card bill and being paid a week behind says this isn't a good idea though. Oh the joys of self employment!
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

cros wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:40 pm I made a device to stop reverse being engaged inadvertently on the Bedford. It's horribly primitive, a sprung loaded bolt that you have to pull back to move the gear lever upwards. When the lever is pulled towards you for second it misses the bolt, or else it would just be silly.
I had to exhaust clamp this ironmongery to the steering column it as it's all too easy to go into reverse when you change from top to second. It's happened a few times and the gnashing of teeth is fearsome.
It would have been more elegant to hide the mechanism away elsewhere, but try as I might I can't think of another way which doesn't involve a spring to resist engagment of backwards. Thats no good as these boxes are sprung towards the first and reverse plane and are very prone to popping out of gear when they've got a few miles under their selectors.
IMG_20190810_141420742.jpg
Looks like it suits such a luxurious* van to me.
Private signature, do not read
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

It was well luxurious today- There was a cloudburst as I set off for the pub, and it poured in round the windscreen seal which I've just fitted- you can't get an exact size so obviously some extra sealer is needed. Then the fuel stopped coming through so I got a proper soaking rigging up a pipe into a plastic can which I had in the footwell; the pipe was only just long enough and had to be shut in the door.. I turned round and headed home where I found the pipe was blocked midway by a piece of old sacking- I hope there's no more of the poxy stuff in the tank.
Ohdearme

Post by Ohdearme »

I took my recently acquired Mk1 V70 2.5T to the seaside and was rewarded with an EML light reappearing, doesn’t affect the running or anything and may vanish of its own accord by ignoring it like last time. That is to be my preferred remedial course of action.