What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:10 pm Just done a quick add up.
YOU BLOODY FOOL!
mercrocker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:42 pm Don't go adding this shit up is my advice......
PhilA wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:06 pm Enjoy it or don't, that's about where it sits.
This. You're heading down the road of cereal in ziplock bags.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Get the bare minimum done to get that hot rod minor on the road and blat about in it for a bit.
Then flog it to me at a pittance
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:42 pm Don't go adding this shit up is my advice......You didn't spend the 12K all in one go.
Ahhhhhh. Everyone has got the wrong idea of my thoughts.

Yes, I didn't spend all that in one go. But what if I did?

Instead of having my time stolen with 4 partially working classic projects, why not just spend that and get one nice, more special one?

Of course I can't get what I spent back, but I could get a lot back from selling all my cars.
mercrocker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:42 pm It's like adding up your earnings over 5 years and wondering why there's fuck all left.
Yeah I've already worked out what I have spent in the last 2 years - including moving house and all that. No wonder I feel skint half the time.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

My point remains (as I expect does yours....) that you didn't have 12K to spend in one go. You'd either have to save that or borrow it (at cost) to make the choice of having a nicer, more special car.

It's a bit like giving up smoking - unless you put the fag money in a pot every time you would have bought a packet you never see that money. You might spend that less but you never see it!

There is also the very valid point that we blokes all have to do something. Either buy a football season ticket, collect ludicrously expensive items of vinyl or mazak, piss it up the wall on a Friday and Saturday, chase skirt or create the entire GWR region in 1/76 scale in an attic. Buggering about with useless old motors seems a fairly innocuous and low-key route by some comparisons!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Also having a perfect car would leave you nothing to do. There's only so much time you can spend polishing before your neighbours think you're ill. I swapped a nearly concours metro advantage for a mk2 mx5 because I couldn't improve it anymore. The mx5 was mint too but at least it was a change and I could drive the arse off it.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:50 pm My point remains (as I expect does yours....) that you didn't have 12K to spend in one go. You'd either have to save that or borrow it (at cost) to make the choice of having a nicer, more special car.
Without going into the personal details, lets say there was actually 12k to spend in one go. To save argument lets say that could be savings, loan (they're cheap enough nowadays) or even inheritence. In fact if I sold everything classic I probably would have around that right now (e.g. conservatively priced - 4.5k BGT, 2.5k Moggie, 2.5k Midget, 3.5k Sprint).

So if I start considering selling that all off this year as a serious proposition, I could get something around that. Add in £2600py of storage I'd no longer need (Boxster could live outside), there would be 15k in the pot. That brings a complete different type of classic I could be farting around in, especially if a project.

Could I get something a bit more special for that kind of money?
mercrocker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:50 pm There is also the very valid point that we blokes all have to do something. Either buy a football season ticket, collect ludicrously expensive items of vinyl or mazak, piss it up the wall on a Friday and Saturday, chase skirt or create the entire GWR region in 1/76 scale in an attic. Buggering about with useless old motors seems a fairly innocuous and low-key route by some comparisons!
There will always something to be doing on a classic car and I'm short of time usually anyway. Even if not, I can have a cheap single project (finish the Dolomite? :roll: ) to keep my fingers busy.

Lets face it, there is a good chance I'd probably end up spending all that money on a project anyway... :lol:
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Your latest comparison (what you have currently "in stock") versus what you could otherwise buy is a much more logical one to me! Notwithstanding our differing slant on things, yes I would actually be thinking along those lines myself. Keep the Dolly as a long-term project, bin off the storage cost and go shopping!

Not only would you have more time and possibly money to spend on that Triumph you could tackle it in tune with your mojo and still have an interesting, working and rewarding vehicle besides.

If I were not so bloody emotionally attached to inanimate objects I would certainly take some heed from my own lesson and reduce my own storage costs and consolidate 2 or 3 vehicles into one. I don't think I would feel that way had I not driven them all in some memorable times, though.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:15 pm Your latest comparison (what you have currently "in stock") versus what you could otherwise buy is a much more logical one to me! Notwithstanding our differing slant on things, yes I would actually be thinking along those lines myself. Keep the Dolly as a long-term project, bin off the storage cost and go shopping!

Not only would you have more time and possibly money to spend on that Triumph you could tackle it in tune with your mojo and still have an interesting, working and rewarding vehicle besides.

If I were not so bloody emotionally attached to inanimate objects I would certainly take some heed from my own lesson and reduce my own storage costs and consolidate 2 or 3 vehicles into one. I don't think I would feel that way had I not driven them all in some memorable times, though.
Tbh if you sold all your classics and your van, you're probably around similar or higher figure yourself.

For me. depending what it was, I'd possibly even consider selling the BGT (will be easy enough to get another if wanted). Despite it being a never sell car. This year will be 5 years I've owned that too.

Here is a nice little project that looks almost road ready from the photos that I would become in budget. I'd prefer a mk1 for the rear lights but good enough as an example for what I could get.
1968-mini-cooper-621feae2adb48[1].jpg
1968-mini-cooper-621feae2adb48[1].jpg (514.25 KiB) Viewed 846 times
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1429763
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Bloody hell is that all 12k gets you?
I was thinking you would be spending it on a garage extension or a Corvette...
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Bugger me backwards £14k for that and they think it's priced to sell? I've slipped into s parallel reality