Are You Sitting Comfortably? Ergonomics Wob.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Are You Sitting Comfortably? Ergonomics Wob.

Post by SiC »

At 5ft10, I fit in pretty much everything vehicular I've ever sat in.

Only Vauxhall seats have ever given me super bad backs. Something about them cripple me. Saab seats, even in the GM era, are superb though.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Mk2 Carlton seats, great.
ZX Volcane seats absolutely superb, 600 miles in a day, 630 miles another, no problem at all.
405 SRDT amazingly comfy as is the ride quality.

What I miss with new cars. A summers day, sun is shining, windows down but you can't rest your arm on the fucking window sill even if the seat is good.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Renault 25. Velour for compliance, squishy foam yet support in the right places.
2006 Chevrolet Impala with the deluxe interior package trumped it for long distance travel though. I could get out of that car feeling more relaxed than when I began the journey.

The Pontiac seems comfy until you have to sit on it for ages, whereby it induces sore/numb arse. But, that's 70-odd years old and chair design wasn't exactly a pinnacle of 50'a automotive.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Citroen XM. Super comfy seats plus that smooth ride plus a seventeen gallon tank equals Venice to Essex 1015 miles in sixteen and a quarter hours. Great car. Great seats.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

The best has to be the Rolls/Bentley seats just nice old armchairs. Renault from the 70's to 80's had really comfy seats if you like soft and squishy. I found the Boxster seats give me arse ache unless I put a bit of padding in first. I did think it was just a saggy seat in mine but a customers one was the same. Renault Estafette van is almost impossible for me to drive as the seating position is so crap, a couple of miles was enough in that. Mercs I find bloody awful like someone put a bit of wood on top of an old spring mattress and don't get me started on the Sprinter/VW lt from the early 2000's. The biggest problem with moderns isn't the seats though it is the fucking great door pillars that you can't see out of them without having to constantly move around. I drove a 2016 Jazz yesterday perfectly adequate car, but a bloody nightmare to see out of without killing motorcyclists.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 (for sale)
2010 Skoda Felica tdi (for sale)
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

People moan about series land rovers and defenders but I've never had a problem and I'm 6'2 and XL. You can get used to anything.

The Oldsmobile looks comfy, but being a bench It's not supportive. Comfiest was a MK2 Granada's back seat
Sri05

Post by Sri05 »

Hooli wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:55 pm Pugrot 406 remain the worst seats I've tried in a car, they gave me back ache before I'd got out the parking space.

Worst thing overall to drive though was a shitrun C15. Utterly dire, the seats were wank, the pedals were at the wrong angles so it twisted my knees so bad I was limping after a 15min drive.

Most comfy was possibly the Mk1 Disco I had, I could drive that all day. The Scania Irisar I used to drive for a coach company was all day comfy & as easy to drive as a car too. Lovely thing & not even that bad on fuel for a coach, it'd scrape into the low teens occasionally as far as I recall.
That's reminded me, the 406 coupe was fucking awful for comfort. The seats didn't go back far enough to get comfortable, and you sat on them rather than in them.

Saab seats are pretty great, I've driven the 9-3 floppytop for hours at a time and never felt any aches afterwards.
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

We had a 54 then 07 plate Vectra at work. Fuck me were you crippled by the time you'd got to Glasgow. The replacement 60 plate Mondeo was a godsent, so comfy you actually felt like doing some work when you got to Glasgow.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I do find modern cars to be the worst for overall comfort. True Ergonomics - the relationship between the human form and the work it is tasked with - is adversely affected by poor visibility, intrusive dashboard/console arrangements and horrid little fat steering wheels.

The Cowley is so comfortable because there is room to slightly shift one's position throughout a journey - acres of floor space and clutter-free dash. Some of the minor controls are a stretch but gearshift and indicators are close to the wheel - I like a floor dipswitch too.

The Minor seats were a bit of a problem on long trips but Metro GTa seats have solved that.

I find the T25 very relaxing to drive - again everything is logically placed and a nice big steering wheel helps here.

I do hear about Mercs being uncomfortable but that hasn't been my experience, certainly on the 80s ones although I found the 190E a bit cramped unless you smashed the rear legroom completely. What might feel like hard seating actually proves its worth over a long journey and the basic common-sense layout inside becomes more fully appreciated.

The Chrysler is sublime - huge pillowed leather armchairs and masses of insulation but more importantly a decent driving position to begin with.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

The best for me were the seats in our 2007 Ford Galaxy Ghia.

That was basically used for 600+ mile round trips to and from unis and for UK family holidays over a period of 8 years. I'd still have it now if it hadn't developed a water leak that completely drowned 2 of the looms.