Bullshit of the day

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Bullshit of the day

Post by LynehamHerc »

From the new Land Rover launch:

"This is a car that needs to look like it can do the business,” said Land Rover design director Gerry McGovern. “It has a silhouette even a child could draw, but there’s nothing simple about it – especially on the surfaces, which on first glance look quite raw and elemental but which are in fact incredibly sophisticated. Flat panels can look very cheap and this is a premium vehicle, so we needed to be smarter than that.”
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: Bullshit of the day

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I've just seen a photo of that abortion and it is indeed properly fuggly.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Raw and elemental? So they are rusty before they leave the factory. At least they're keeping the old tradition going if nothing else.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

"The BMW X7 is the first car to fuse the presence, exclusivity and spaciousness of a luxury model with the agile and versatile driving properties expected of a Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)."

With 261 g/km CO2 emissions I'd say it is the first car to die out like an errant dinosaur PDQ.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

The X7 is another nail in the coffin of the Motoren Werke.

These arrogant idiots have realised - maybe too late - that folk don't like BMW's anymore. Sales are falling, and about time. Several recent new models - the Z4, 8 Series, i3, i8, X2, shit spec 3 Series and others are to be either dropped or will not be replaced.

The prophecy of Bernd Pischetsrieder 25-30 years ago has come true. The marque has been ruined and nobody cares anymore.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

What did he prophesise?

Looking at the Frankfurt 4series concept grill along with the X7 they've lost all the style and class they used to be noted for.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

What Pischetsrieder prophetised a quarter century ago is irrelevant today.
The quickest expanding automotive market segment is e-cars and BMW, as well as all other German car makers, not only fail, but deliberately avoid it. They are the victims of their 100+ year success with the ICE, so to say.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

They look more and more like Hitler's moustache.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Defining the future of vehicle design and development, a new era beckons for fleets and Mazda with the release of pricing, grades and specifications for the hotly anticipated and wholly reinvented Next-Gen Mazda3.
How can a car be "wholly reinvented", when the two available power trains available at launch are carryovers from the previous model? How can a dull mainstream old family car be "defining the future of vehicle design and development"?
A century-long pursuit of driving pleasure has laid the foundation for Mazda’s evolution, with all facets of vehicle design deeply honed and dramatically improved, Next-Gen Mazda3 becomes the most refined Mazda yet and the precedent for those to follow.
Are they seriously suggesting that the pursuit of driving pleasure has been part of the Mazda philosophy for 100 years? Apart from that, if I were seriously nitpicking, I'd now mention that Mazda will only turn 100 in January next year and didn't kick off as an automaker until 1931, according to their own website! And even that wasn't a car, but a delivery tricycle. I did enjoy driving pleasure in my life, but looking at that thing, it neither strikes me as the result of the pursuit thereof, nor a deeply honed vehicle design.
In fact, the first Mazda passenger car, if you can call the Carol that, did not occur until 1960, which cuts the claimed century a bit short, or is it only me again?
Invoking the principles of classic Japanese aesthetics, where beauty is achieved by subtraction, Mazda has realised a mature expression of its KODO: Soul of Motion design language for Next-Gen Mazda3.
What a shame that no beauty was achieved by subtraction of the pure unadulterated bullshit in this press release.
It continues:
With only two shared panels between sedan and hatch, Mazda has made no compromises to maximise their appeal and celebrate the unique values and personalities of both cars and their respective buyers.
According to this, the values and personalities of the cars and their respective buyers are interchangeable.

Consequently, the
hatchback [buyer] presents a powerful, sporty and seductive look; the body sides adopt constantly shifting reflections that create an expression of vitality without using character lines
Whereas the
clean, sleek and sophisticated beauty of the sedan [buyer] speaks of maturity and refinement; flowing from front to rear in a single motion, the body presents powerful proportions with a graceful profile. All elements at the front and rear adopt a horizontal orientation that accentuates the look of a wide and low stance.
I'm afraid I resemble both descriptions, especially that flowing from the rear bit.
Further enhancing the premium atmosphere, Mazda has developed a new grain that conveys the warmth and feeling of genuine, organic leather, which a uniform grain cannot match. With the help of skilled Japanese craftsmen, Mazda has introduced creases to leather with differing depth to give the interior a lively, rich expression.
I have never seen atmosphere enhancing leather with a lively rich expression off a cow, so I'm actually looking forward to see what those skilled Japanese craftsmen achieved with their creases of differing depth, preferrably after half a bottle of Gin.

I spare you the rest of this 2,200 word bullshit Tsunami, but if you must, it's here: https://fleetautonews.com.au/all-new-ma ... plains-it/
Last edited by Junkman on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

No, "deeply honed", as in "hone the shit out of it and fill the ring gaps with wob and hope they don't notice it's only running on 7"
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey