Classless cars that say nothing about you? Is there any? Were there ever any?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Jazoli

Re: Classless cars that say nothing about you? Is there any? Were there ever any?

Post by Jazoli »

SiC wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:25 am Dacias are for those that can't afford a nice second hand car, so buy the cheapest new car to have that new plate on the drive.
Nope, not everyone, my mother needed a medium sized estate car, a golf was €25k as was a focus, a Logan was €11k, came with a longer warranty and has been faultless for the 4 years she's owned it, it has everything she needs and nothing more, I think she wants a Duster next, which is half the price of Tiguan or pretty much any other soft roader.
CBA
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Classless cars that say nothing about you? Is there any? Were there ever any?

Post by SiC »

Grim.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

If we were still doing the uni runs we'd probably buy a Duster, it's got everything we'd need. As it is the Roomster suffices for carting stuff around and going on holiday in the UK.
captain_cal

Post by captain_cal »

Call me a flash bastard if you want, but I'd have to have done something pretty bad to engage in the hair-shirt penitence of buying a new Dacia.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

When the Duster first came out they were £9,995 , we had just decided to spend that exact amount on a car. We went to a Dacia dealer. After laughing at the Motorola push button radio, the nasty Lada Riva type trim and lack of aircon even as an option, we beat a hasty retreat and spent the money on a 2007 Freelander 2 and didn’t regret it, even when doing the clutch and flywheel twice in 4 years.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I hate fake these SUV things now. But given a base povo spec duster is £15k, I'd rather have a manufacturer approved (with the years warranty) one of these:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202206096616455

Far better spec, reasonably decent interiors.

Better performance and far more refinement.

A grand or two more gets one with radar cruise too.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Si you're forgetting that that 2nd hand Mazda will have far less competitive finance deals on it than a new car. Not everyone has money to throw about man. At least that was the case for me in 2017 when I got my Duster. £155 a month was all I could afford and I wanted something under 5 years old as my son was just a baby at the time and I wanted a guarantee that the car would be reliable. It wasn't grim but the seats gave me aches on long journeys. It did everything we needed though.

I was then made redundant in 2019 and had to hand the Duster back. I thought I was doing a nice thing by getting my wife an older Bini. However £1500 (that was all I could afford) got me something that kept me awake at night and broke down regularly. It was replaced with 'an car' Civic Mk8 for a similar price which was great.

But a non car person will still see a Dacia as the best route into having a new car at an affordable price and the peace of mind they want.

A cash sale would of course be different for me but I am not prepared to spend over £1500 on a car these days.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I've only spent over £1500 twice - once on the Focus three years ago and the T25 van we bought. Much as I love cars I couldn't bring myself to do it and doubt very much that I ever will again.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

My parents bought a Duster when they first came out.
They could have bought anything they wanted (within reason) but decided they just wanted a new car with no frills, to peg around the lanes of Ireland in.
It has 13k miles on the clock now (they don’t drive much) and other than a battery issue, it’s been fault free.

I’ve nearly done that many miles in my Jeep and that will be 6 months old this week!

SAABs were always classless and Subarus were classless but dike associated… It’s ok, I like women too! :lol:

To me, any BM is someone trying (unless it’s an old 2002) and ALDIs much the same.

Not sure where Suzuki fit in all that.
Bangernomics

Classless cars that say nothing about you? Is there any? Were there ever any?

Post by Bangernomics »

An older friend of mine has recently ordered a duster here in FR because him and his wife both have long term illnesses and regular hospital appointments after their 5008 shat itself rather expensively twice in a row a month or so apart.

They reckon the low monthly is them buying reliability? Here they are ubiquitous.

Gzongenflatch
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.