Modern Motors Well Worth A Look.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Re: Modern Motors Well Worth A Look.

Post by Drum »

SiC wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:09 am All the prince engined cars. Tbh the Tritec first gen cars are getting on a bit now too. On those avoid the Midlands box.

Apparently the prince engines were better after 2011 or so. Still a bag of shit.

First gen cars, the diesels are a Toyota lump. Second gen cars, the diesels are a PSA 1.6 HDi.

All of them are horrific long jobs for clutches. DMF on them all.

Pick of the bunch would be a first gen Cooper S.

Have you considered the alfa giulietta? The 1.4TBi Multiair and 1750TBi are quite fruity while being affordable to buy. 172bhp and 230bhp respectively.
How do you tell the engine difference? Probably a 2.0 petrol or diesel from 2017 onwards.

The Alfas look nice but her current 1.4 multiair has been a pita. Electric power steering is dodgy, the lights have poor connections, bodywork and paintwork very tired and the general build quality is poor.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

marvinsmom wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:07 pm i've got the whole "buying another car" thing to look forward too either end of this year or early next, to replace the tired and crusty Rover.

there isn't much that takes my fancy. no word of a lie, there is very little out there that i can either see me in, or would aspire to owning.

well no, i like the Jaguar X350 XJ saloon, in 3 litre pez flavour cos i don't really want another dizzler, or a Fiat 500, something like the special 57 varieties edition.

an eclectic pair, no doubt cos both models ape their older, classic forebears. for instance the Jaguar would be half the price of the Fiat, BUT the Jaguar will (no doubt) be fragile and needy like the X306 XJ i had in the past, AND also be £615 a year to tax, AND be maybe 30mpg in usual use. and the Fiat, well i quiet like them they are ok on the fuel and are £30 tax a year, but SMOL, VERY SMOL in comparison to many other vehicles on the road. especially for the wacky races that is the Parkway-A19-A66 on a weekday morning.

i'll end up with a P38 Range Rover instead. or something else really damn unsuitable, cos, well, idiot........
X350 Jags aren't £615 a year tax unless you get the wrong one/year, and finding a 2006-on 3.0 would be rare - once the 2.7 dizzler came out, everyone bought those.

I've had a 3.0 Pez and a 2.7 dizzler and preferred the pez even though it was older.

They can be a bit needy but the parts are getting cheaper and with ali bodies the fuel economy and performance aren't bad for the size.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Drum wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:36 pm The Mini look nice but her current has been a pita. Electric power steering is dodgy, the lights have poor connections, bodywork and paintwork very tired and the general build quality is poor.
FTFY.

Wouldn't know the difference.

RBJ is going to be the BMW Mini expert on exactly what is shit and what just about bearable.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

2013 onwards is the third gen MINI with the three pot B38 engine. Apart from the odd crank thrust bearing issue, they're not bad. 1000 times better than the old Prince rubbish.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Thank you gents.