Austin A70 Hampshire

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Re: Austin A70 Hampshire

Post by angrydicky »

Hooli wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:26 pm I'm impressed with how much you've done already.
Most evenings after work I’ve been doing at least 2/3 hours on it. Plus weekends etc. A neighbour commented that he knew I was working late as he sees the workshop lights still on at 9pm most evenings.
It’s coming along. There is work needed to the body mounts before I can fit it back on the chassis, I need to figure out a way to lift the body up to get access to them.
The rest of the welding, such as the sills will be much easier to do once it’s back on the chassis.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I'm worn out just reading this thread! What an extraordinary tale of tenacity.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

That dash is lovely on its own
BazMan

Post by BazMan »

Happy to catch up on what happened with this. It was one of my favourite threads on the other side. Glad to find where I can keep up with the story!
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I can see why you gave up with the original body. :shock:

Any more thoughts on the eventual colour?
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

I’m going to stick with Antrim Blue, the original colour of the Dutch donor. Bit more interesting than black, plus black wouldn’t go with the nice condition blue interior.
The old body is pretty much stripped out now. I sold the brown interior and a load of other duplicate parts I had to a Maltese Hampshire owner, so spent a considerable amount of time removing the parts and putting them on two pallets for him.
I want to remove the windscreen, headlining, and the front end panels, then it’s ready for the great scrapyard in the sky. Dunno if I’ll get anything for it as they’ll have to collect it with a hiab.
I’ve removed the blue interior and made a start repairing the rear floor where the body mount has been torn out of it, but I’m a southern softy and the weather has been miserable lately, so I find it hard to get the motivation to go down to the garage and get on with the work.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

I also built a couple of frames to attach the body to my rollover jig, which is designed to bolt to the hubs of a complete car.
It does work but is a ballache to roll from 90 back to 45 degrees, as I didn’t get the “hubs” in line it doesn’t really work as intended. Need to do some more work on it to get it to roll properly as it’s quite important to be able to adjust the angle to suit whichever part you’re working on.
bunglebus

Post by bunglebus »

Is it worth offering the old body on somewhere like Rods N Sods? I'm sure someone would be happy to chop it about into a hot rod
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'm totally useless at things like this but never ceased to be amazed at the thought, care and work that goes into such projects. Even if I had the skills there's no way that I'd have the patience.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Can you cut the shell up into smaller pieces and chuck into the car to weight in at the local scrappy? That's my plan with my parts Dolomite.