The Astraslag TDW Slut Car Thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: The Astraslag TDW Slut Car Thread

Post by bub2006 »

A friend had one in his car. The phone app works great and the quick buttons work fine too. Next best thing if you wanted satnav in built without double din or flip screen. Also came with microphone for calls. Good quality too.
christine

Post by christine »

Why when this thread bumps to the top, do i think. , "Oh no ..what awful thing has happend to it now ?" Yet , when i click it open ...nothing drastic has . Yet .
Funny , I didn't when Warren had it ! :P
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

They're unkillable.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Supertramp-Famous-Last-Words-AandM-photo.jpg
Supertramp-Famous-Last-Words-AandM-photo.jpg (121.53 KiB) Viewed 199 times
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Ya can all bollocks. I'll just stop updating thread then ya can sit in quiet contemplation.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Then we will just assume you have killed it and don't want to admit it
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:29 pm They're unkillable.
Mrs SiC friend split up from her partner who screwed her over financially (probably about 10yrs ago now). Anyway she had a Astra G 1.6 16v that she bought cheap to replace a Smart ForTwo on finance while she tried to pay down her debts.

She did have a lot of teething trouble to begin with and having misfires and terrible fuel consumption. Two garages couldn't figure the problem. Anyway I had a look and found someone had broken the clips holding the injector electrical connectors on. So they were bouncing up and down when driving causing misfires.

I stuck a load of zip ties to hold it together and told her that the clips needed replacing. As you might guess that was never done. Anyway it started happening again when she was seeing family and her uncle put a block of wood on top of the engine which held it down when the bonnet was shut.

After a service she drove it home and about 10 miles in the engine light came on. Opening the bonnet she saw the oil filler cap was missing and oil everywhere. She drove it back with the oil pressure light flickering on every so often. Garage filled the oil back up and she went on her way. Apparently the engine light come on these as the engine knock sensor could hear the thing rattling it's tits off from the lack of oil.

About a year later it overheated. Most of its coolant ran out. Once it cooled down a bit, she drove it to a nearest garage a mile or two away where they replaced a hose.

Not long after someone drove into it and bent the back door badly. Her uncle put a scrapyard door on it and she was on her way again.

Anyway it lasted about 4 years and 80k in her hands. It was at that point the auto gearbox (she has an auto only license due to a mobility issue) started playing up. Part-ex it for a 206 that suffered slightly less abuse.

She always speaks fondly of her Astra G as it got her through a rough part in her life without costing her anything (apart from the poor fuel consumption at the start from the misfire) and allowed her to sort her finances/life out.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

bub2006 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:18 pm Ya can all bollocks. I'll just stop updating thread then ya can sit in quiet contemplation.
Might I respectfully remind you of the terms and conditions that go with running a TDW long term test car? Rather like being a staff writer on Autocar, you're obliged to submit regular running reports.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

SiC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:16 pm
Mrs SiC friend split up from her partner who screwed her over financially (probably about 10yrs ago now). Anyway she had a Astra G 1.6 16v that she bought cheap to replace a Smart ForTwo on finance while she tried to pay down her debts.

She did have a lot of teething trouble to begin with and having misfires and terrible fuel consumption. Two garages couldn't figure the problem. Anyway I had a look and found someone had broken the clips holding the injector electrical connectors on. So they were bouncing up and down when driving causing misfires.

I stuck a load of zip ties to hold it together and told her that the clips needed replacing. As you might guess that was never done. Anyway it started happening again when she was seeing family and her uncle put a block of wood on top of the engine which held it down when the bonnet was shut.

After a service she drove it home and about 10 miles in the engine light came on. Opening the bonnet she saw the oil filler cap was missing and oil everywhere. She drove it back with the oil pressure light flickering on every so often. Garage filled the oil back up and she went on her way. Apparently the engine light come on these as the engine knock sensor could hear the thing rattling it's tits off from the lack of oil.

About a year later it overheated. Most of its coolant ran out. Once it cooled down a bit, she drove it to a nearest garage a mile or two away where they replaced a hose.

Not long after someone drove into it and bent the back door badly. Her uncle put a scrapyard door on it and she was on her way again.

Anyway it lasted about 4 years and 80k in her hands. It was at that point the auto gearbox (she has an auto only license due to a mobility issue) started playing up. Part-ex it for a 206 that suffered slightly less abuse.

She always speaks fondly of her Astra G as it got her through a rough part in her life without costing her anything (apart from the poor fuel consumption at the start from the misfire) and allowed her to sort her finances/life out.
I had a MkIV Cortina like that....Got me through a shit time in life. £30 auction buy and weighed in for £60......You never forget 'em.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:28 am
SiC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:16 pm

I had a MkIV Cortina like that....Got me through a shit time in life. £30 auction buy and weighed in for £60......You never forget 'em.
I had a beige Maestro 1.3 City like that. It was bought for £30 with a fucked water pump and survived the ten mile trip home without any coolant in the system.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.