What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by paulplom »

Mine was a million different wires that needed to be traced and connected up along with the aerial, microphone, dab aerial and rearview camera. It had to be connected to the steering wheel controls too. Way beyond my technical ability.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

paulplom wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:03 pm Mine was a million different wires that needed to be traced and connected up along with the aerial, microphone, dab aerial and rearview camera. It had to be connected to the steering wheel controls too. Way beyond my technical ability.
Here's a diagram of it:
simple-electrical-circuits-picture-5.0c0c8ba.jpg
simple-electrical-circuits-picture-5.0c0c8ba.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 187 times
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

It's actually your light bulb that's very dim. I think you have a short circuit.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I think you'll find that's a lamp, bulbs grow in the ground.

/Every annoying science teacher, ever
Private signature, do not read
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Fuck all from Ford. Carless here. Strange, they always ring, good news or bad.
As I suspected I was right about everything.
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

Steve from work, who is in currently, has looked my car up online and WhatsApp me the page, my car passed. They must have forgotten to phone. I will ring in the morning, not working until Thursday.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Had the Jag serviced and MOT'd today. I booked it in ages ago and asked that they also attend to the water leak and a rubber boot on a track rod end that they said was split when they did the brakes.

I looked online and saw it passed this morning with the usual 'advisories' list - rear subframe slightly rusty, rubber boot perished on the TRE, and another on the rear anti-roll bar rose joint, slight water leak, slight oil leak.

I waited all day for them to ring me and in the end, I rang them at 5:00 pm, they'd done the MOT and service but nothing else, all need special Jaguar tools and parts and the prices they quoted were eye-watering. For fucks sake, I thought garages kept bags of rubber boots? Perhaps Panhard or some other garagista could look and see if there is anything special about these ones on the Jag for me?

Really not impressed. I didn't rant or rave but they hadn't stamped the service book, the centre console was open and all the discs were out (WHY?) the rear covers were off the back seat and just clumped in the footwell (again why?) you can do all the seatbelts with the covers on no problem as I checked them the other day! Oh and they washed it sure, but so badly I wish they hadn't bothered.

And I even put fuel in their courtesy car (always do) and now I feel cheated.

They did change the brake fluid and the air filter but the brake fluid looks exactly the same as it was on Sunday, same level and colour so I doubt it.
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

Picked up the kak, don't know why they didn't phone. Pass with one advisory for rear tyre tread.
Asked about cam belt, the guy looked it up on the computer, ten years. Phew.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Disappointed as my wife is now gelling with the TT so doesn't look like I'll get to have it as my daily now!

All good though!
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I'm going to save the grump for the appropriate thread, so...

Today I fixed the oil leak, the slightest weep from the breather pipe that goes from the cam cover to the plenum chamber. The garage told me this is the oil leak and the pipe is hundreds from Jaguar and needs plugging into the machine.

It needed a new 'O' ring which I had in my box of 'O' rings. Ten minutes and the jobs a good-un.

Took all the plenum and airbox off so I could investigate the water leak from the thermostat housing (again, they said this was the water leak, and needs a new housing for another couple of hundred quid) but it's as dry as a bone as is everywhere else. No trace of a water leak from down here but it's obvious that the header tank/cap WAS leaking as there are traces of dried coolant all over the place.

Cleaned it all up, and checked everything and the water level has not moved in months.

While I was in there, I cleaned the throttle body, oil and lubricated everything that should move freely and tightened a couple of things that moved easily and shouldn't! Also cleaned and fed the front seats with the 'Champagne' leather stuff I got and did a bloody good job of it to, if I might say so. :)