Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - (Not So) Ropey Audi TT Mk1

Post by SiC »

The contacts on the Hazard switch have a habit of welding themselves together on these. There is a revised switch that supposed to happen less but even that fails. I probably should pull the switch out, apart and clean the contacts up. But as its still working fine after punching the dash, I can't be arsed.

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/hazar ... -to.74756/
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - 4 years of Boxster ownership

Post by SiC »

I was thinking today that around now must be another year's ownership of this soon.

Checked the dates and I've owned it for 4 years today! That makes it a few months more than when it was under PeterC tenure.

I did ponder getting it out this weekend but the weather is looking generally shite. But I did pop past storage on the way back from the Post Office at lunch to check on it.

Absolutely filthy where there is no cover on it and detritus falls down from above. But that's better than the elements beating down it over winter.

Every so often I go through the mental motions of considering to sell it. Then I sit in it today, realising how special it feels to sit there and think that is a stupid idea.

After being serviced last year by Panhard65, it's pretty much ready to go for this spring/summer. Wheel alignment needs doing, so I'll have to find time to take that to my local alignment place. MOT is being done week after next. I don't envisage any major issues but I do need to give it a run to get some heat and movement back through the car.

Air con was making an awful racket last year so I had it regassed. However it doesn't work at all now. Either it was too cold at the time (sub 3c) or the compressor has kacked it. You can hear and feel the compressor engaging but there is no fluid circulation sounds nor any change in air temperature from the vents. Now the weather is warming up, it'll be a good time to check again. I'd rather not have to spend out on a compressor but I also want it working again.

While there is no immediate intention to sell it, I may reconsider at the end of this season. I'm still pandering to the idea of reducing the fleet and consolidating to one really nice, special (classic) car. I need to finish off a few big bodywork projects before I am at the point though.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Under one fourth of a tank of petrol. You need to get it filled when you do get it out.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Big tank too. So it'll need over £80 of super. Usually I fill them up to the brim when putting away. However I wanted to get it away before the weather turned to hard frost and snow. Then fully intended to take it out again (paid for 2 months tax I didn't use FFS) but didn't get around to.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I got £93 in the tt at the weekend. Just above the red too.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:26 pm Air con was making an awful racket last year so I had it regassed. However it doesn't work at all now.
That's what the floppy top is for... ;)
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:54 pm
SiC wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:26 pm Air con was making an awful racket last year so I had it regassed. However it doesn't work at all now.
That's what the floppy top is for... ;)
That doesn't cool down hot and sweaty crotches and feet though.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

That's a nice image :lol:
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

One of the big issues that has been bugging me on the TT is the drivers footwell keeps getting soaking wet.
I've been hunting the source for the last 10 months I've owned the car and has been infuriating that I couldn't find it. Anyway with my wife on hand with the compressed air and hose pipe, we've finally found it!! Before this I checked and fixed the usual suspects - wiring loom box, bonnet cable, pollen filter, door seals and I've even had the windscreen replaced (not because of it I should add). None of them were the problem.

I did a short video going through the areas and where mine was. Worded description after if you don't want to hear the sound of my voice.

It required stripping the footwell yet again to investigate where it was entering. Hateful job where ligaments get scratched up.

This time I stripped even more out.

Looking closer it was clear from the brown marks where the water streaming down when running a hose on the scuttle area.

We started looking under the scuttle area. Absolutely fine. Looking at where the water was coming from in the footwell, I reckoned it must be somewhere in the wheel arch. That required jacking it up and removing the wheel.

Running the hose pipe in the arch it started leaking inside again. Getting closer!

Looking closer at that area...

Cracked seam sealer! I've heard this being mentioned before but never seen a video or pictures where.

Scraped off as much as possible.

Then laverished seam sealer all over it.

Hopefully this is the end of my wet cabin. Possibly will become more of an issue for others as these cars get older.
Split_Pin

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - TT footwell leak hunt

Post by Split_Pin »

Duly noted!