1963 Rover P4 110

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Rover P4 - Arrived!

Post by SiC »

And the glovebox is now open! Just needed a good pull. I used a plastic trim tool to give me the leverage without damaging the trim.
The contents are a bit disappointing as I was hoping for some history. Instead I got a new spark plug, a metal rod, some manky old blue roll and a tax disc.
Tax disc is from Kent and 1993. Presumably the last time it was on the road.
Sadly this is the full amount of history I have for the car.

A bit of an anti climax.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

brandersnatch wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:34 am Have you got the under dash tool kit?A8331A59-061B-4264-9C85-B104E26D8B96.jpeg
Yes! Most of it is there with just a few bits missing. The original touch-up pens are still there though.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

SiC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:50 am
brandersnatch wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:34 am Have you got the under dash tool kit?A8331A59-061B-4264-9C85-B104E26D8B96.jpeg
Yes! Most of it is there with just a few bits missing. The original touch-up pens are still there though.
That’s great, such a nice thing to have.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Better than mine, all it had in was a wasp nest.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Brake fluid isn't supposed to be coming out of this pipe!

Also remembered I meant to buy a set of whitworth sockets and spanners. Thankfully 14mm was close enough.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Replaced the Girling servo today with a modern Lockheed unit. Location is the one recommended by John Wearing on the 110. I don't like drilling holes into old car bodywork but hopefully this unit is pretty much fit for life on this car.

Brake fluid came out of the vacuum hose on the old unit, pretty much confirming that it's dead.

Still need to replace the master cylinder before I can get to bleeding the brakes. I was hoping to go to a car meet tomorrow morning in this but it doesn't look like that will happen unfortunately.

I forgot that I need whitworth spanners and sockets! Made do with a 14mm socket. Wasn't the best fit but a 6 sided one was sufficient for the job.

Bezo finest should be delivering me a set of spanners, deep and normal sockets tomorrow. Then I'll tackle the master.

While it was up on stands, it gave a better chance to look underneath.
That chassis really is a girthy thing.
It's really in excellent condition! The underseal is coming off but the metal is still plenty thick enough and solid.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Do not poke!
A quick wire brush and some phosphoric acid, black paint then underseal and it'll last years

It would look great with triple Weber's hung off the side though
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That steel chassis is a good few millimetres thick. Even a whack with a sledge hammer would barely dent it. I'm impressed at how thick it is. No wonder so many of these met their demise around the oval.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Always interested me that the more powerful 110 made do with a single carb while some of the (older) less powerful engines had twin carbs.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Replaced the master this evening. Nice to have the longer days back.

Removal was straightforward with my new Whitworth sockets.

I did have to replace the rod and washer assembly between the old and new. The bores on the old master actually looked immaculate and probably would have been fine. But I don't like to take any risks on single circuit brakes.

Also replaced the rear brake hose. Last owner did the fronts but didn't do this back. Again a cheap part and straightforward to do but massively worth it if the vintage of the hoses is unknown.

Finally bleeding. Always fun. I despise brake fluid too. Ruins everything it touches and it stinks. I tried my pressure bleeder but unfortunately that quickly showed up a pin hole on the top of the reservoir as I got a jet of brake fluid squirt out the top! I'm glad I'm not that bothered about the paint. I had a bottle of water on hand to douse down the fluid.

Ended up using my cheapy vacuum bleeder. I always find it hard to know when it's got most of the air out as it tends to make bubbles as it sucks through the bleeder. Only done the rear driver's side at the moment too. So I need to go around and do the rest.
However I do have a moderately hard pedal now.

I've done the old trick of leaving a jack handle pressed on the pedal to let the air flow out over night. Often it is pretty effective in letting air to the top and removing it.

Tomorrow I'll go around and bleed it properly from the furthest to the closet.