1963 Rover P4 110

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Rover P4 - Arrived!

Post by mercrocker »

SiC wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:28 pm Always interested me that the more powerful 110 made do with a single carb while some of the (older) less powerful engines had twin carbs.
Probably because it was more powerful....The 110 engine had the Weslake head mods from the P5 version of the 6 pot which I suppose offered superior breathing without the need for the complications of twin carbs. I should think even Solihull lost track of the engine/carb permutations by then but it does speak volumes of the design integrity that Rover saw fit to continue filtering development down to the P4 so late in its life.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Wonderful effort. Like the big chassis. Looks like a real solid beast.
As I suspected I was right about everything.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The chassis is rather imposing when it's a few millimetres from your nose. I can pick the rear end up of the Midget by myself. Certainly no chance on any of the P4.

The body is really in solid condition too and there isn't really any corrosion on any of the fixings that I've undone. Real shame I didn't have any history with this as I'd like to have a ballpark of how many miles it's done. I'm not doing one but a fresh paint job would make it a much more valuable car.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Odds on a PO might have been a Guild member. At least with its original reg there might be a trace of it there? P4s were shabby when I was a kid - you rarely saw a shiny one but I do agree they look the bollocks when they are.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

In the early 70s I worked for a guy from a very rich family, his father was the head of Burmah Oil, complete with company Roller. Anyway I went to his house near Selby for his daughters christening. There were 3 or 4 immaculate P4s there, all driven by his family. I knew his brother, a solicitor had a Rangie and a SL so couldn't understand all the Rovers. He had a P5B that replaced a new 2000TC that he got for his 21st birthday.

Apparently they kept them for visits like this as considered arriving in a herd of Rollers and new SLs gave the wrong impression to 'normal' people.

A bit different from flaunting your wealth like nowadays.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:20 am Odds on a PO might have been a Guild member. At least with its original reg there might be a trace of it there? P4s were shabby when I was a kid - you rarely saw a shiny one but I do agree they look the bollocks when they are.
There is a P4 guild sticker in the back window so potentially they may have some info. Might not be allowed to give much info due to GDPR though.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yeah, GDPR will restrict personal stuff but you might get some ownership/membership period or mileage info....
marvinsmom

Post by marvinsmom »

there is an old boy down the street from me, Mal (as in Malcolm) who had a string of P4's over the years. the last one was a light grey over dark grey 110, though i remember him having a green one too, and even as a kid i loved the big Rover, as it just looked very special.

been an odd kid, things like the Morris Mini-minor traveller that lived around the corner, Mal's Rover and the Wolseley 1500 that lived near the church were the cars that made my heart sing, and not the XR3/BMWs/whatever moderns were running around and that chassis looks like something that wouldn't look out of place on a battleship, which is odd as the heater controls too look like that they belong on a warship too!

sadly Mal's days of Rover ownership have now come to an end, advancing years and been unable both get bits and fix it himself means that today he drives some little Suzuki hatchback thing which also will do far more miles to the gallon than the Rover could manage, even if not in as much style.
2015 Fiat 500 Heinz 57 - new car to me
2001 Rover 75 Estate - 220,000 miles & out
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport - running again!
1989 Austin Metro - also running again.
1974 Morris Mini 1000 - older than me, and in better condition :D
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

New boot time! After eBay 20% discount code, they worked out at £35 a tyre fully shipped. Local garage charged me £18 a tyre to fit/balance/dispose. I thought it was a bit expensive but then disposing of old tyres is an arse nowadays. Also required special dumpy valve stems on these old rims.

Still need to finish bleeding the brakes once the weather eases off raining. Then go for a spin to see how it drives.

Original front tyres were date coded 1992. Rears had no date code and so likely much older than this!
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Love the name on the new rubber.....