Jag! The Ghostly fleet thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
ghosty

Re: Reliable Honda Engine: a project thread

Post by ghosty »

No result alas. Also it's a rubbish drive so I'm going to use the cooling off period and just not bother with the thing. Electronic power steering, gearbox that feels like it's slipping all the time, the leather steering wheel feels like plastic, fly-by-wire throttle that seems to have input lag, inconsistent power delivery...
Watch for pedestrians...
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Eddie Honda wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:56 pm
John F wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am I wouldn't touch a manual box, never mind an auto.
There's no fucking dragons, witches or magic involved in an auto box.
Exactly. I have done many and they all worked beautifully afterwards.
I've done so many TH350s that I could overhaul one blindfolded, and I do mean that seriously.
Torqueflites are a bit tricky because you need to shim the clutch packs so they don't obstruct the oiling holes on the shaft. Guess how I learned etc etc...
I would never, however, do a box I didn't do before without a manual. You need the info regarding clearances, brake band adjustment, and so on.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
John F

Post by John F »

ghosty wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:31 pm No result alas. Also it's a rubbish drive so I'm going to use the cooling off period and just not bother with the thing. Electronic power steering, gearbox that feels like it's slipping all the time, the leather steering wheel feels like plastic, fly-by-wire throttle that seems to have input lag, inconsistent power delivery...
Unlucky, mate. I've found BINIs to be a good steer myself, although I've only driven early-ish ones.
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I suspect the early Eaton supercharged ones are alright, my late uncle had one. This one is a turbocharged PSA engine.

Today I bought an impact gun and used it to open the gearbox. It doesn't look like too bad a job.

The engine is ready to drop in once the gearbox is finished.
Watch for pedestrians...
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

TBH that doesn't look much different to a manual box. I was expecting more obvious differences to stand out.
Private signature, do not read
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

ghosty wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:31 pm No result alas. Also it's a rubbish drive so I'm going to use the cooling off period and just not bother with the thing. Electronic power steering, gearbox that feels like it's slipping all the time, the leather steering wheel feels like plastic, fly-by-wire throttle that seems to have input lag, inconsistent power delivery...
Modern, innit. TADTS.

I've only driven an old 1.4, didn't like the seating position and cramped cabin. I then bought a Corsa D 1.4Tinstead though though devalued by £4k in 12 months and most sat around as I prefered to drive the Dolly 1850HL so the laugh's on me...

My parents love the things, my Dad ran a Cooper S for a few years and my mother had a early Mini One CVT as her first car, then a metallic bronze Roadster an has just acquired another one after a couple of years of driving a CR-V. A mate also had a John Cooper Works for a while which was a bit of a pocket rocket...

I think the newest generation are utterly gopping though, the Union Flag rear lights make me want to vomit and the rear lights on the Clubman looks like they were added at the last minute because somebody forgot them.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

All Binis are gopping, it's just the newer ones are so utterly gopping they make the early ones look not quite as bad.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

It's been pretty easy to work on.
However, the new gearbox clutches were the wrong size. I got annoyed, emailed Rock Auto and went back to sleep for three hours.

Old Man found a scored clutch in one of the packs and swapped it round to somewhere it hopefully won't slip as much. I don't have much hope of finding a correct clutch pack anywhere as that's the only rebuild kit I've managed to find for a Honda ML4A. Reassembled now, and will be mated to the engine tomorrow. After that it's engine in, plumbing, and done.
Watch for pedestrians...
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I used to think Binis were cramped too but the mother's has a panoramic sunroof that makes it a lot airier. It felt like a lot bigger car than it is, though. However the windows are too high up and the windscreen is tiny, quite a bit is obscured by the rear view mirror too. Seats are nothing special but not uncomfrtable.
Watch for pedestrians...
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Hurrah for finding a fault. It's always good when you do so you can explain why it had issues.