1979 Trouble Spitfire

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1979 Trouble Spitfire

Post by SiC »

I've been to this meet before but this time there seemed to be a good selection of different cars.

This RS2000 had cracked filler on the side panel. Bet it looks like my Dolomite under that paint.

This Mini was missing a lot of the interior and looked a half finished project. In some ways this is why the MOT exemption is good as it allows this out even if strictly speaking it possibly shouldn't be.

A lot of Fords

The black Capri had this under the bonnet

A mix of moderns. I wouldn't kick any of these out of my garage tbh.

The new Lotus is very nice and I hope it does them well.

Quite a few Triumphs

Some modern classics

Then of course my wobbly carriage

Apart from the electric fan thermostat not playing ball, the trip was pretty uneventful. The car does have a few issues but nothing pressing to sort. Hold the clutch down and you'll get a squeal. Suspicion is on the release bearing. It's not that old as the clutch was done recently. But then modern repro parts are shite as we all know. I don't think it's the thrust bearing - I'd expect revs to change?
Speaking of which, the idle is a bit all over the place. Sometimes fine and sometimes too low. A light press and release on the pedal brings it back. I suspect the linkage is a bit sticky.

Both things don't really need sorting as I can work around it. Don't hold the clutch down when stationary and a dab of throttle when the revs do drop a bit too low. Maybe even tweak up the idle a tad.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

StIll get the odd itch for a Trump 2000, have to be a Mk1 too.....Most of my Minis looked like that Clubbie - we had MOTs back then of course without exemption but I never worried about them because I don't think a single one lasted till the next test date....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That temp gauge looks about where mine used to run with a winter 'stat in. I ran the winter stat all year as it behaved better properly warm than 1/4 on gauge where the cooler stat would sit. It also meant the heater produced actual heat.

I think the stats were 82 and 70 degrees.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:40 pm StIll get the odd itch for a Trump 2000, have to be a Mk1 too.....Most of my Minis looked like that Clubbie - we had MOTs back then of course without exemption but I never worried about them because I don't think a single one lasted till the next test date....
As someone pointed out on the beige, the reg is too new for a clubby. Could be grafted on but the dent and rust would suggest it's been like that for a while. Not sure why anyone would ring it either.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:22 pm

What's that battery clamp all about?

batt hold down2a.JPG
batt hold down2a.JPG (30.79 KiB) Viewed 826 times
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I bet the battery is slightly larger and that's the only way it will fit?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Yes it fitted better that way and it doesn't move. I thought it was a better arrangement than the setup on it previously. You possibly can just make it out in this photo.

I have a brand new 038 battery on the shelf I may fit in and I think will fit better. Was originally intended to go in the Dolomite but that's unlikely to need it any time soon.

Just this one works absolutely fine so wasn't in a rush to change it. However I think someone has popped the lid off before and topped up the cells. Looks like some of the acid may even have leaked. The top is held on with duct tape. Well the clamp now as well too.

I may change it but I want to check the alternator output is sane first. No point putting a new battery on if it's undercharging or overcharging and damaging the pack.

This is filed under my new found ethic that it's better than it was while it works well enough so that the car is safe and usable.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:40 pm Yes it fitted better that way and it doesn't move. I thought it was a better arrangement than the setup on it previously. You possibly can just make it out in this photo.
DodgeRover wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:29 pm I bet the battery is slightly larger and that's the only way it will fit?
Could be. Mind you if you've witnessed Halfords battery fitting skillz...

A 038 is taller than a 075 anyway.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Wait

You got a classic with all the gauges working?
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

PhilA wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:00 am Wait

You got a classic with all the gauges working?
No, they just display something.
Private signature, do not read