Dan's Crapi project.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Danthecapriman

Re: Dan's Crapi project.

Post by Danthecapriman »

Shit the bed, another update!

I was doing some late night reading last night about the electrical system on these cars, specifically the instrument binnacle.
It turns out that the fuel gauge and temperature gauge both use the same voltage regulator and circuit. So, apparently, if the gauge is at fault it usually affects both.
My temperature gauge works perfectly so the problem is most likely either the wiring between the gauge & sender or the sender itself.

So today I’ve had a look. You know shits getting serious when you break out the multimeter!
A bit of testing showed some severe voltage fluctuations at the live wire at the sender connection. Looking into the connector showed it to be full of dirt and corrosion. Cleaned it all up and it improved but still no good.
Then I looked at the earth wire. This is a short length of copper wire that just connects to the senders earth pin one end then runs up through the boot floor to a clean patch of the bodywork inside the boot. The interior bit seemed ok, but the outside end, the connector was also full of crap and corrosion but closer inspection showed the outside half of the wire had gone green and powdery inside. Basically the earth wire was useless!

I’ve completely removed the old earth wire, and to be safe, chopped off the last inch or so of the live wire. Then soldered on a new length to the live so it’s the correct length again and put a new connector on the end. The earth wire I’ve completely replaced for new wire with a new eye terminal for the interior connection.
IMG_2139.jpeg
IMG_2139.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 342 times
IMG_2136.jpeg
IMG_2136.jpeg (879.55 KiB) Viewed 342 times
To test the gauge I just joined the live and earth wires together with the ignition on which, sure enough, now made the gauge rise to max. Bingo! Of course the sender could possibly still be faulty as that was still disconnected.

Trying to connect the sender became a pain in the arse though. The live was fine, but the senders earth pin is a weird shape and size and of all the many electrical terminals and connectors I’ve got nothing would fit well enough to stay secure.
A bit of head scratching later I found an old single chocolate block connector, stripped off the plastic insulation then managed to slide the senders earth pin into one end and tighten it with the chocolate blocks screw, and the earth wires end into the other end!
Is it really a bodge if it works so well!?

You can just about make it out in the pic!
IMG_2138.jpeg
IMG_2138.jpeg (255.07 KiB) Viewed 342 times
It doesn’t fall off and it’s making good contact. But, I’ll probably try to find the right connector size and do it properly later but for now it’s fine.

So with everything back together I flicked the ignition on and was rewarded with,
IMG_2135.jpeg
IMG_2135.jpeg (856.21 KiB) Viewed 342 times
A working gauge, wiring and sender showing a quarter of a tank of fuel! Which is about right as I put a Gerry cans worth in it last year.
Thank fuck that was easy and didn’t result in me having to pull the sender out and drain the tank.

Then I thought I’d check the other electrical stuff at the back of the car which showed the number plate lights weren’t working.
This turned out to be the same basic problem. No earth connection.
These are earthed by the metal bulb holder touching the body but obviously won’t work if there’s paint between! Fixed by scrubbing a clean patch under the bulb holder and tightening the screws. Easy!
IMG_2140.jpeg
IMG_2140.jpeg (775.44 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Not that they’re really worth having as they don’t really give out much light! But it’s a legal requirement and they do work!

That’s two irritating problems ticked off the list.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Simple* fixes like that are always worth doing on an old car as the sum of the mojo it can give you for the car is greater than the sum of its parts. Old cars are much more betterer when everything works.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Gas gauge guesswork is not a fun game to play, so a working one is worth the peace of mind you get even driving about.
Well worth the effort!
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Cheers guys!

Yes, I’m not a fan of playing fuel roulette! You look like a right twat too when you lose!
I’ve got a rare new old stock sender for this (totally different unit to most mk2 ones and all mk3 ones), but it’s worth having as a spare I suppose.

I do like easy fixes! Especially ones where you convince yourself before hand it’s bound to be the worst case scenario or as hard a fix as it possibly could be. Then it actually ends up the opposite.
Always good to finish a days work on projects like this on a positive note too.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

You do look a twat topping up with one of those green plastic fuel containers. Not that I've done it myself 🤣.
I always give a friendly honk, a thumbs up and a big smile just to make them feel a little more awkward.
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

The fuel gauge in my Impala has never really worked properly despite a couple of new sender units and changing the gauge. Despite this in my 34 years of ownership I have never run out of fuel. When I fill up I always get the receipt and write the mileage down then when it's done a few miles, say 120-ish I fill up again. Seems to work. Did the same with my Primera, had it for 10.5 years and never ran out. I think that this method makes me a genius.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

59Impala wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:42 pm The fuel gauge in my Impala has never really worked properly despite a couple of new sender units and changing the gauge. Despite this in my 34 years of ownership I have never run out of fuel. When I fill up I always get the receipt and write the mileage down then when it's done a few miles, say 120-ish I fill up again. Seems to work. Did the same with my Primera, had it for 10.5 years and never ran out. I think that this method makes me a genius.
It’s that same thing that makes me a fucking idiot! :lol:
I’ll struggle to remember to either get the receipt or write the mileage down.

I’m not sure how accurate these old gauges actually are anyway? I’ve never run out based on what they say but I don’t tend to let cars run that low anyway.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

The T2 gauge is supposedly unreliable and there's no trip meter on my year. So I bought a little gadget with 5 wheels with numbers on that you can set to the mileage when you last filled up that just sticks to the dash.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Are you sure that gauge isn't just practicing ready to do a "T2". I can almost smell the BBQ from here
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Just found out what a banging noise was under the bonnet when I road tested it…

I forgot to bolt the retaining clamp down on the battery! The bang was the battery almost jumping out of its tray! Oops.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L