The Heirloom Laguna Deux - Gone

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: The Heirloom Laguna Deux - Trouble lurking

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I never spend more than 25-30% of the car's value on fixing it. I leave that to others.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote:I never spend more than 25-30% of the car's value on fixing it. I leave that to others.
This is why German stuff appears to hang around longer than French stuff, as the German stuff holds its value longer thus people feel more compelled to fix it rather than binning it.

Considering the online insurance quotation form defaulted this to a value of £150, putting it through an MOT and it failing on wiper blades almost caused it to be written off by your definition... :D

Does amaze me when I go around to my local garage and see them with a Corsa C engine in bits having its cam chain replaced. Obviously I'm not the only mental one in this city.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Never add up. Schoolboy error that.

If you like it (and I like everything) just keep throwing money at it. It's usually* cheaper than hookers and coke.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote:Never add up. Schoolboy error that.
If more school kids were taught basic budgeting, this country wouldn't be fucked with so much personal debt!

Eddie Honda wrote:If you like it (and I like everything) just keep throwing money at it. It's usually* cheaper than hookers and coke.
No idea what coke costs, but the massage parlours here proudly advertise in big writing outside that they're 40 quid for an hour's session. Seems to be the going rate around Bristol. Ironically cheaper than when I have a proper deep tissue/sports massage with someone trained to do it. You wouldn't especially want a happy ending with the people who do that too.

On that basis and considering I'm nearly at five figures expenditure on cars this year, I think it might actually be cheaper to have hookers and coke! Divorce is quite expensive though but that is a one off cost...

(Admittedly I've had three extra cars changed/now in the fleet this year which pushed that figure up a fair bit)
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Went out to pick up some cat food tonight. Yup it was perfect.

Plugged into read any codes. No codes on the automatic transmission. Live readings looked all sensible. Picked up shifter position perfectly too. Tried leaving it mid shift position and that as expected threw up a code for multifunction switch fault.

However it did throw up a light

Didn't actually talk to me to alert of it. It did warn me that the brake light is faulty though.

Code stored was this:

🤷‍♂️
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Oh an electrical fault, that's a surprise* on these.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

SiC wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:36 pm
No idea what coke costs, but the massage parlours here proudly advertise in big writing outside that they're 40 quid for an hour's session. Seems to be the going rate around Bristol.

(Admittedly I've had three extra cars changed/now in the fleet this year which pushed that figure up a fair bit)
Thats less than half the going rate round here (affluent South) so ive been told
Sports Therapy massage is much cheaper though and I get to talk about music too whilst my back is fixed*
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Pretty obvious here. I pass several everyday on the bus. This one actually almost doesn't look like a brothel:
Screenshot_20191128-234139_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20191128-234139_Maps.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4357 times
Google says that 40 quid is actually for half hour, not hour.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Hmmm...
Screenshot_20191129-004357.png
Screenshot_20191129-004357.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4354 times
:lol:
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I've put another couple hundred miles of mixed city and motorway driving on this since the funny gearbox instance and it's been fine. I have given it a bit more mechanical sympathy and resisted planting my foot everywhere. You kind of have to off roundabouts and the like still, as it really is not very fast.

I bought a crank sensor and new wiring loom for this the other week. I appear to have forgotten to taken a picture of it though. £85 of genuine parts later though I decided to hold out first and put a few more miles on the car to make sure it deserves it. I went genuine as I've heard bad things especially about many aftermarket crank sensors. Did cost me around twice as much though.

These are notorious for crank sensor failure. When they do go, it is usually a sudden FTP. Cooling down or cleaning up the sensor gets them going again. I know the one on this was suspect as my Grandad had issue with it starting. After cleaning up the sensor and bending out the pins slightly, it ran right as rain again.

However I knew it would only be a matter of time it would play up again. Faults you can drive around I am fine with. Faults that cause or potentially cause sudden stoppages I can't bare. So it had to be done.

Apart from the crank sensor, Renault issued a new wiring loom and connector for these. Turned out it was the connector just as much as the sensor. You can tell the difference as the new connector is blue and not compatible with the older black. This had the original black sensor on it.

Fitted the new crank sensor and loom fix. Lives up above the bell housing and a tad fiddly to get to.

Crimping the wires on was a right pain in the butt. Right at an arm's reach to get to and I had no hope of getting a decent solder joint down there. I used the crimp pieces that have heatshrink and glue in them. Heat them and the glue melts, sealing up the join.

Still runs which is always a bonus. Need to fix the dodgy contact in the rear right brake light next. Getting fed up of Renault computer lady yapping at me that it's faulty.