Warren's next side hustle adventure

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
panhard65

Re: Warren's next side hustle adventure

Post by panhard65 »

Bloody hell that insurance is dear. Mine is half that and with a decent company. Tradex were fucking awful, so much so a copper told me to bill them my time when they stopped me for no insurance. I had told Tradex but they didn't put it on the database. According to the copper it was a very common thing and the only way that would make them get their act together was if it started to cost them. I wouldn't bother with recovery here as there are so many at it already with 3.5 ton trucks that are pretty pointless with the weight of modern cars. A 4x4 with trailer can carry more.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

panhard65 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:18 pm Bloody hell that insurance is dear. Mine is half that and with a decent company. Tradex were fucking awful, so much so a copper told me to bill them my time when they stopped me for no insurance. I had told Tradex but they didn't put it on the database. According to the copper it was a very common thing and the only way that would make them get their act together was if it started to cost them. I wouldn't bother with recovery here as there are so many at it already with 3.5 ton trucks that are pretty pointless with the weight of modern cars. A 4x4 with trailer can carry more.
Tradex used to trade under the name St Katherine's and back in the day they were the only insurance company willing to offer me repo insurance.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

This one says 1250KG -

https://www.carandvanhire.co.uk/vehicle ... orter-hire

If you go above 3.5 tonne gross won't you need a tacho? ETA - ignore that, already answered I see.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
Old Wrinkly
Hubnutting Double Cunt!

Post by Old Wrinkly »

Footwear, non slip soles are a must, when the recovered vehicle is loaded, there is very little room to move around it. Most of the recovery drivers I know have fell of the recovery body, often with some kind of injury.
Make a point of cleaning up any fluid spillage that may have occurred when the vehicle is loaded. I always carried sawdust (other products are available) and plenty of old rags.

Avoid Motorway recovery work, it is potentially very hazardous. One of the first ones I did almost had me sucked off the truck when an Artic passed very close as I had just existed the recovered cars drivers door. This can to a lesser extent be applicable on a dual carriageway.
After that I always entered and existed on the passenger side, more awkward but less life threatening.

Avoid repossession work unless you are accompanied by some muscle.
Even then, if needs must, its best to do it miles away from where you are based, in case an irate previous owner pays a visit and torch's your truck.

That's about it, unless I remember any thing else and good luck.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Second the non-slip footwear.

My uncle dabbled in this when he still lived in the Midlands.
Had a nasty fall one wet and windy day and did his arm and collar bone a right nasty.
Even with the right footwear, it can be slippery.

The reflective tabard is another sensible comment. Let’s the plod know you’re serious and not a pikey. It can also work it’s purpose and drag another drivers attention away from their phone.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Retroshite knows the score. Drop him a pm.
Attachments
retro.jpg
retro.jpg (179.39 KiB) Viewed 327 times