Transit Tales. Owned or rented.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: Transit Tales. Owned or rented.

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

The two Transits we had: a 1986 D short wheelbase low top Transit Mark 3 2.0 pinto. Not a bad van but it was rusting at three years old. I fitted a good used bonnet and changed it from scabby white to Gentian blue.

Then came an 18 month old G plate Transit 80, short wheelbase low top 1600 pinto in black. Bought at Blackbushe auction, I absolutely stole it. Literally half its actual value. The MT75 box had no third gear so I fitted a Ford exchange box and I waxoyled the fuck out of it. I found it in a scrapyard in 2006, battered but rust free.

I preferred the 1600 to the 2000 and it was just a really good van.

Those were the proper Transits, not the fwd shit.
JimH

Post by JimH »

We have a 12 plate Mk7 crew cab pick up that was bought as a tipper and converted using the body off the LDV400 it replaced which includes the half ton RSG hydraulic tail lift which is the most useful thing in the history of the world ever. Morrison had it for some road patching contract so it was covered in tar inside but that cleaned up quite nicely once I took the seats to bits and washed the covers. In the end we only bought a new cover for the driver's seat squab. Mileage is a tad on the high side at 190K but most of those appear tp have been on the motorway. It only does a couple of thousand miles a year anyway so there is probably a few years of life left in it.

There certainly is now since No2 piston got scored so we rebuilt the engine. It had steel paneled doors in the rear but a few quid got glass fitted to them and a set of rear seats and seatbelts (they were using the back as tool storage) turned it into a six seater which is handy.

Seems like a happy thing.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

All transits after about 2013 can fuck right off.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

You know the tale with mine. Plasterer I work with has had nothing but problem after problem with his 2016 one he's parked jt up fpr now with it hiccing in and the mil lit again.
Builder has a 2018 one that was off the road for a year needing a new engine at less than 30k. Cost him over £8k. Someone nicked the cat while it was parked up at the garage too.