Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - 2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 Estate

Post by SiC »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:36 pm https://ofgear.dk

Is it that gearbox? That system offers adjustable lockup.
Dunno but probably. That looks nifty but I don't fancy explaining how to use such a thing to my wife when she needs to drive the car late one evening home! 😆
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

SiC wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:09 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:36 pm https://ofgear.dk

Is it that gearbox? That system offers adjustable lockup.
Dunno but probably. That looks nifty but I don't fancy explaining how to use such a thing to my wife when she needs to drive the car late one evening home! 😆
Tom fitted one to his OM606 with that massive snail on it. It worked really well indeed and once set up was fit and forget.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I knew it, you've got a car that's working fine & you're poking it till it breaks.
Private signature, do not read
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

SiC wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:20 pm It reminds me very much of the Saab 9-3 I had. The drive position and control responsiveness makes me so much calmer and less stressed when driving. Like I can't be bothered to overtake a dawdler. I could but can't be bothered. Likewise if someone is right up my arse, I'll pull in and let them go. 

It's such a middle class, middle aged car. I don't think I've owned one that screams holidays driving to the Dordogne and sampling wine to carry in the boot than anything else. Radio 2 or Classic FM depending on how much tweed you've got on. 
Thats my cabriolet but with wonderfully addictive steering. And scuttle shake.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This afternoon I had some fiddle time. 
First stop was a poke around under the hood as I haven't had a chance to properly look here yet. It's very clean under here and the access is phenomenal compared to many moderns 

It looks at the front of the engine as if they designed enough room to fit a viscous fan. I guess the V8 would occupy a bit more room and tighten this area up a fair bit.
Had a quick look for the thermostat. Mega easy to get to here. I don't think I'll even need to remove the auxiliary water pump or belt.
Quick look at the coolant colour brings up red (G12 by the looks of it). I believe this should be green (G13) and possibly it's been changed for the wrong stuff. I'll probably flush it out and put the right stuff in due course but I have red on the shelf if I do the thermostat.
Like a lot of German stuff, the air filters are in the engine cover. This is the dirty intake side. Certainly not worth even considering changing these!
Plugs are a bit tight. I pulled the front left top as it's the easiest to get to. Each cylinder has two plugs. So twelve in total. 
This one is a NGK platinum. Good for 100k apparently. I don't believe NGK is OEM for Mercedes so it's almost certainly been changed at least once. While grubby these look perfectly useable and don't need changing. Not least twelve platinum plugs isn't cheap and no point replacing something with plenty of life left.
Plug gap seems to be about 1.0mm. I believe it should be 1.1mm so near damn enough correct. 
MAF is down the back. With the top off you can just twist it and it'll come out. Must be one of the easiest MAFs I've ever had access to. 
This also looks damn clean inside. I can't believe this is original and doesn't look used at all. Again absolutely no reason from this visual check to justify even cleaning this, let alone changing it.

A quick look at the SBC pump shows a hardware design date of 2005. I believe the date code is stamped in the top of the unit but I didn't know when I was looking. I'll have to look again to get the actual manufacture date. However hardware design date of 2005 is obviously after 2003. So it's almost certainly been replaced at least once.
See this rubber pipe to the left of the torch that goes to the SBC pump? This feeds brake fluid to the unit. There is a TSB if people complained when new of putting a noise damper in this hose. Looks like it was never fitted on this car as presumably the first owner didn't complain about the noise. 
It also explains why some cars have noticeably noise SBC pumps and some are near silent. Basically depends if the first owner complained when under warranty and the Merc dealer retrofitted a noise damper unit in the hose. 
This damper can still be had but is £280 from what I can see on eBay. For that I'll leave this noisy. Tbh like an SU fuel pump on a British classic car, it's reassuring to hear the pump working away as you know it's all okay then.

While I'm fiddling I thought I'd have a quite poke at the rear air suspension relay. These can stick closed and burn out the pump. Usually from over use.
It's the green relay at the back.
Contacts on the bottom look fine and likewise the contacts inside look great too. No burn or arcing on the inside of the relay either. Right now I can't justify changing this as it looks perfect.
Next up was on the right side. This box is the pollen filter and isn't mounted quite correctly.
Filter isn't a carbon activated unit so I may change this. It's clean and usable though.
A quick check of the auxiliary battery voltage shows a high level. I presume this is always topped up by the main car battery.
Finally I cleaned and lubed the bonnet latch as this was sticking a bit.
I need to get a new machine gun sight as it bugs me that it's missing. There are some on eBay for £13 delivered, so I might give one of them a go.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Next up was the offside cataract. Can't be having this, not least as one of the first owners and longest owning owner was an eye consultant.
Near side isn't anywhere near as bad. 
Brand new replacement covers can be had for not a lot off eBay (£38 or so) but that requires removing the bumper, light units, heating and regluing. Maybe something I will do later as it should protect it from UV damage better than just polishing.
For now it's just going to be polished.
Taped up to protect the bodywork.
Grabbed my Argos DA polisher with G3 polish. 
Then set to work. This was ten minutes at most of work. The small light gives you a good before and after idea.

The smaller light was a bit more difficult with my DA. So pulled out this disc. Far more aggressive but had good results on my TT.
A very satisfying job doing this. I don't bother with the cheap polishing kits now. Except the compound can be useful as it's not quite as aggressive.
Removed the tape.
Before and after

Had a quick look at the driver mirror glass. Genuine Mercedes but not the correct auto dimming glass. It can stay as is for now and I'll try sourcing some correct glass once I get it through an MOT. If no big disasters I'll be more prepared to spend money on this. Not least as the auto dimming glass is incredibly expensive.
Was a right arse getting the glass back in too. It's in now and I'm certainly in no rush to remove it again!
Wing mirror indicator on this side looks to have got crap in and possibly water. Passenger side looks to have been replaced once. I may replace this drivers side as it looks a bit rubbish. No one will probably notice it though. Or a passing car may end up knocking it off anyway.

One little thing I found out recently is that there is a service position for the bonnet. I wish more cars had this so you don't whack your head when working under here! There is loads of clever little engineering design touches on this car. Feels like Mercedes did at least care a bit when designing this car.

Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

My W124 had the same thing with the bonnet, a good idea as you say. I think actual Volvos did too, the proper square RWD ones.
Private signature, do not read
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

My Spaceship Civic does too.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This car has been living under a tree for a number of years. So bits of moss and such had started growing out of it. (I know those tyres are pretty shite - they can wait for a clean MOT first)
Jizz shot. Previous to this I spend a good half hour or so pressure washing all the shut lines to get the crud out.
I gave it a quick sponge over . Then used this instrument. For added abrasiveness it's been sat in my garage gaining filler dust. Two bucket wrong 'uns look away now. 😆
My excuse is that it's a big car and it was getting dark! Also I imagine most of its life has been going through car washes not hand washing anyway. Paint is thick and in very good condition to be honest.
Looking quite respectable.
Decided to go for a test drive. Before that I had some redex sitting on the shelf for years, so I thought I'd lob the lot in. Not going to hurt and maybe might help clean things out a bit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

brandersnatch wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:07 pm My Spaceship Civic does too.
So did mine and our Mk9 Civic. But this Merc has two catches built in the hinge to allow it - one on each side, to allow this to happen. I imagine it cost quite a bit to engineer in and manufacture the extra bits to make it work.

Honda, being Honda, just made an extra hole in the metal pressings and you put the arm further up. :lol:
Last edited by SiC on Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.